Got the frame fixed, FINALLY!

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Got the frame fixed, FINALLY!

Postby mhuppertz » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:13 am

I finally got the frame welded up, and learned a few things.
1. My 110 MIG welder is barely good enough to weld 3/8" steel.
2. I suck at welding 3/8" steel with a 110 MIG welder...
3. Hair has a tendency to catch fire when you weld over head without a full face welding mask.
4. Red hot blobs of metal are drawn to open shirt sleeves like a tornado to a trailer park.

I used a spare 1941 Dodge generator bracket to gusset the frame down to the cross member. The test drive revealed no more wobble, and no more popping while turning sharp corners at low speed. I used a new Mopar (steering box to frame) bracket, and had a real fun time getting it all to bolt up. You kinda have to get one of the blind bolts in to the steering box (loosely), then wedge the whole mess up until the press in bolt on the bracket goes into the frame, stick a nut on that dude loosely, then feed all the other steering box bolts in, get them started, then push the other two frame bolts in, kinda tightening everything as you go. It took a couple of hours to get everything back in and safely tight.
I don't want to do that again for a while!
Mark
mhuppertz

Postby PToombs » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:50 pm

Glad to hear you got it fixed! And you learned a few things too! :2cool:

I wondered why you haven't been around, forgot you had a mission! :wrench:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby mhuppertz » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:34 pm

I have been overwealmed with how many things are wrong with the truck. It helps to get at least one (big) thing out of the way.
I am hopefully about to sell the 1941 Dodge truck which will release some fundage to get a new feramic clutch put in and replace the rear main seal, which is leaking oil almost faster than I can put it back in.
Having to unplug my battery every night is getting old too...
It's kind of hard to get excited about hot rodding my truck when it leaves a trail behind it everywhere I go!
mhuppertz

Postby PToombs » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:29 pm

Ahh, it's just marking it's turf! :lol: When you do the rear main, check the cam plug too. You have to pull the adapter plate off, but it may be worth it. Lots of stories of the plug leaking a month or 2 after a seal job. :x
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Return to Chassis