"Leaky" master cyl?

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

"Leaky" master cyl?

Postby theoldmanW350 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:02 am

Hello all. My brake fluid is leaking out of the top of my master. Got a new gasket (gotta pick it up) but was doing some searchin' here last night and came across a reply from a member who stated his master is pushing fluid from the primary chamber into the second thus overfilling it and then leaking past the gasket. Lo and behold that what mine is lookin like. Is this due to worn piston assembly o-rings? I know our masters are fully serviceable and rebuild kits are about half the price. As a solution another member suggested drilling a hole between chambers to allow fluid to pass through. Not sure about that one. The rebuild doesn't sound difficult. Anyway any experiences you all got send 'em over. Thanks.
theoldmanW350
fuel screw!!!!

Re: "Leaky" master cyl?

Postby cmann250 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:55 am

Run like the wind from reman master cylinders is the best advice you can receive.

My master cylinder has a hole drilled through the divider already and it still leaks out the cover. I just remember to top it off every few weeks.
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Re: "Leaky" master cyl?

Postby ihredneck » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:53 am

Remans see to be a win some lose some. I'm personally super busy so was willing to put a reman in. First one I didnt bench bleed (never actually done it before cause I thought they came bled already)...and didn't work and I couldn't get it bled out. Second one I bled and problem solved. Works great to this day 3 years later and has lifetime warranty so I can keep swapping them out if it goes bad
1992 W350 RCLB 5 Speed Locking 3.54s Flatbed completely stock it's whole life (for now) 117K on the clock (In the middle of a frame off restoration)
1992 W350 RCLB Rag Locking 4.10s Flatbed basket case - All the spare parts left from the other W350 & I still have a whole truck left...
1999 RCSB 1500 24v NV5600
2000 VW Jetta TDI
ihredneck
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Chassis