Dropping the fuel tank?

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Dropping the fuel tank?

Postby slow_90firebird » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:15 pm

Hey guys is there an easy way for one person to drop the fuel tank by themself? I mean obviously not full of diesel but I want to leave whatever is left in there when the guage is on empty, and I dont want to disconnect any lines...

The reason I ask is because the frame is rusting out under the plastic guard thing... I know how to weld and can fix it but I am leaving for college in oklahoma in 2 weeks where I will be living in a dorm room :(

If its as hard as my 78 chevy I will just leave it alone... that tank took all day with 3 ppl working 2 jacks...
slow_90firebird
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Dropping the fuel tank?

Postby Tacoclaw » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:30 pm

I used a piece of 2x12 and a floorjack, it wasn't fun but i wouldn't consider it dangerous either.
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby slow_90firebird » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:02 pm

okay so is there enough slack in the fuel lines to let the tank down to the floor?

Also, how do the other ends of the straps attach to the frame? I cant see them as it is...

Thanks. Im still trying to decided if its worth fixing this frame... The better half of me says to leave it alone and it will probably be fine to drive all the way to OK and even fine after I get there... the frame is so thick there and its only really that 1/2" of the bottom part that hides under the plastic that is rotted away
slow_90firebird
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Tacoclaw » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:34 pm

The floor may be a stretch, no pun intended, but you can always pull the lines off the tank or pull the sending unit out.

On mine, the straps have studs on the ends of the straps towards the inside of the fame, they go up through holes in a little crossmember. I'd recommend a reversible ratchet wrench, otherwise you'll be there for an hour turning it back and forth one hex at a time with an open-end wrench and spraying it with rooster piss while praying it doesn't snap off. :lol:
1990 W250 4x4
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby matthewh » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:47 pm

If its just rusted out under the plastic guard, I'd leave it. My dads 93 D250 had the same issue, found it when I dropped the tank to repair the rusted out tank strap bracket.

Yes, it's rusted out, and should be fixed, but if your up against time crunch, leave it and wait for a better time.
'93 W350 5spd Getrag, 4.10 gears, 83k miles and counting, Mods: LPPP AKA Ma Dually
'54 Dodge M37 6.2/700R4/205, 5.89 gears, WC rear axle
matthewh
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:57 pm

I pulled mine and sprayed some of that rust-converting spray paint on it, I didn't expect any miracles from it but it does make me sleep better at night. :lol:

If there isn't chunks missing out of it I wouldn't mess up my trip over it though.
1990 W250 4x4
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Return to Chassis