Installed a set of 7226S springs...

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Installed a set of 7226S springs...

Postby LOGANSTANFORTH » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:13 am

Back story..

In mid 2010 I drove my 90 D250 from Florida to Ohio and back towing a wrecked vehicle both ways. I noticed when I got to ohio that the truck had a hard time steering in tight parking lots, it felt like the limited slip was staying locked. After I got back I went back to Iraq a couple months then came home and drove it some and stopped driving it in November 2010.

Present day...

Earlier this year we put it back on the road and started driving it. It still had the same problem but it was 10x's worse now. We pulled the diff cover and checked the rearend thoroughly. Nothing wrong. I thought maybe the alignment. So I drove around the yard and had dad watch the truck. The steering angles were so messed up it was allowing the tires to turn so far it would actually stop forward movement of the truck and bind up. I decided to order new springs cause it was sagging bad anyways. Summit was the cheapest, they had free shipping and I had a $20 off coupon for them. I gave less than $90 for the set. Dad and the neighbor kid that works for me installed them saturday. No more steering issues but the alignment is way off, they are going to reset the toe today. The before measurement was 31 inches at the fender lip, now it measures 34 1/2. Dad said the truck rides way better. He is also installing a set of Rancho shocks on the front as well...
THEY PUT THEM ON A PLANE TO SOME STRANGE AND FOREIGN LAND, THEY SAID GOODBYE TO MOM AND DAD AND HELLO TO UNCLE SAM, THEY NEVER THOUGHT THE DAY WOULD COME WHEN THEY MIGHT HAVE TO KILL A MAN, THEY DID NOT SLEEP A WINK THAT NIGHT BUT THEY WON FOR UNCLE SAM
LOGANSTANFORTH
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Installed a set of 7226S springs...

Postby Diesel » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:16 pm

I am curious to hear how you like them after a couple months - after they settle into a final height. Mine is low in the front but I don't mind the rear being so high because its always loaded down in one way or another so the height in the rear helps me. Sound like you use your truck for hard work too so I hope you like the springs so I can get a set too!
1991.5 D250 Intercooled A518
Diesel
14mm rotor

Postby LOGANSTANFORTH » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:41 am

I figure they will settle an inch or so. The old ones were so worn out you cant even imagine. I'll try and post some pictures from photobucket later. The truck is pretty much level now, before it looked like it had a lowering kit in the front...
THEY PUT THEM ON A PLANE TO SOME STRANGE AND FOREIGN LAND, THEY SAID GOODBYE TO MOM AND DAD AND HELLO TO UNCLE SAM, THEY NEVER THOUGHT THE DAY WOULD COME WHEN THEY MIGHT HAVE TO KILL A MAN, THEY DID NOT SLEEP A WINK THAT NIGHT BUT THEY WON FOR UNCLE SAM
LOGANSTANFORTH
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Diesel » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:57 am

LOL sounds like my truck when I take the cap off. I have seen pics of these trucks new and it looks like they were really low when new so I am only *assuming* that we aren't sagging as bad as we think. Probably more a function of seeing so many new trucks on the road that come closer to level.
1991.5 D250 Intercooled A518
Diesel
14mm rotor

Return to Chassis