B&W Gooseneck hitch

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

B&W Gooseneck hitch

Postby Jasonb61 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:28 pm

So I purchased a B&W turnover gooseneck hitch for my 84 W350. I bought the model that is supposed to work for our trucks which is model #1300R. Has anyone else every installed/used these on their truck? We had them installed on our work trucks which are 2012+ F350's and I really like them. However, this one seems like it may be lacking in structural integrity. I'm no engineer or even close, but the ones for our work truck actually hug the frame rails and have braces that attach along the length of the frame. The one I ordered for my truck seems to sit on the frame with four bolts to hold it in place. Any ideas on securing it better that won't compromise my frame or hitch? I've thought about taking it to a welder and having similar "braces" welded so I can also mount bolts along the outer side of the frame in addition to the four bolts on top. Or should it be perfectly fine as it is? This will be a working truck and will regularly be pulling a gooseneck trailer. I will be towing my 33ft Tahoe camper with a gooseneck hitch, a 40ft gooseneck deck trailer, and horse trailers on occasion.

I just received the hitch today in the mail so I haven't had a chance to really mock it up on the truck and see how well I think it will hold but just be viewing the instructions and the actual layout of the hitch, I feel like they could have provided something a little more solid. The installation instructions also call for the bolts to be mounted through the bed through the frame and I'm not exactly a fan of that either. I would like to install the hitch and install the bed on top of that. Mostly because I know I will be getting a new bed in the future and don't want that to be an obstacle. So any input is welcomed.

Thank you,
-Jason
Jasonb61
fuel pin?

Re: B&W Gooseneck hitch

Postby PToombs » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:49 pm

I installed a rail kit for a 5th wheel in an '08 dodge a few years back, and it mounted like you are saying, spacers between the bed and frame and bolts down thru the upper rail of the frame. I was less than impressed, but that's what they say will work. My buddy towed a 3 car trailer and his big camper with it for years and never had a problem.
When I put a hitch in my '92, I used 3" angle iron and bolted thru the side of the frame above the axle, then attached to that.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Return to Chassis