WFO torque arm install

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

WFO torque arm install

Postby Sutter1stgen » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:30 pm

Well in the winter months things slow down around here. My boss's truck has a few things that need to be addressed. His truck is huge and heavy, and has axle wrap like no other.
Here's a pic for reference.
He liked my version of a torque arm that I built a couple of weeks ago. It allowed the truck to articulate, yet eliminated wrap. So we discussed different options, and we came to the conclusion that a WFO concepts torque arm kit would be the best way. I could drive the hour up to their shop and them drive back and install it, all in a day. The kit retailed for $317 when it was all said and done. It comes with: 3 bushings, 2 heim joints, two pieces of DOM tube, a shackle, and a cool axle bracket with gussets, all water-jetted. Here's the cost saving part, you have to weld the kit together, and find or build a suitable crossmember to mount the shackle end to.
I started with the axle bracket, I tacked and trued the pieces up before welding it solid. All the pieces have little notches so the interlock together like a puzzle.
I then focused on welding the bushing and heim ends onto the dom tube. The notches were precut into one end of the DOM tube for the bushing. This allowed for a nice and tight professional fit. Saved a lot of grinding too, if you don't have a tubing notcher.
I then laid all the pieces out for an idea of how it will work. The smaller heim joint allows for pinion adjustment if the need arises. I thought this was a well thought out setup.
I then had to fab up a crossmember that was strong enough. With how the exhaust was routed the crossmember and arm were mounted a little lower than desired. You can mount the shackle to were it is ether pulled or push on. The key is to have the shackle sloping forward no matter what. This will allow for pinion tilt as the suspension compresses.
I welded the axle piece as close to the differential as possible, allowing me to weld on both sides.
This setup rides and behaves first class. First time we articulated into a rice field, there was no creek or bind. Going down the road there is no vibration or noise coming from the setup ether. And the initial apply of power feels a lot more positive instead of cushioned. Which is a good indication we have eliminated his axle wrap.

Hope you enjoy the half day build!!
Eric

91'w250 with a new pump. This one doesn't chase itself around in a circle.
Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Re: WFO torque arm install

Postby Tacoclaw » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:15 pm

Cool install, man. I'm in need of a traction bar setup as well, what size tube did you buy for to fit the D70? I get PO'd trying to price rod ends and crap to piece one together myself. :?
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:03 pm

3.5" axle tube.
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:07 pm

Thank you, kind sir. :)
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby Sutter1stgen » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:39 pm

Sorry for the late response. I'm pretty sure they were 3.5". They will know when you call, and that was the same reason why I went with their kit. After all the scrounging around you will probably my pay the same, if not more, and the tubing is pre-cut and notched. Takes a lot of labor out of fabbing one up, and not everyone has the right tools like myself. If I had to grind the notches out it would have never looked as clean, and wasted grinding wheel material and time.
Eric

Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby cumminsfarmer » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:54 pm

Very nice install! Do these make your truck ride much rougher?
89 w350 srw 92,000 orig miles. built 47rh swap, he351cw, 5x16's, sumped tank, 1/2" lines custom fuel system. Pump maxxed, Denny t stage 2 fuel pin, 355gsk, powerstroke ic.
Sold-91.5 4x4 auto intercooled . Tweaked pump,Denny t stage 2 fuel pin, 2nd gen pump kit, pot mod, 4 inch turbo back, he351ve custom controller
cumminsfarmer
fuel pin?

Postby Sutter1stgen » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:19 pm

The shackle on the front combined with the top and bottom mount on the axle, only prevent the axle from twisting. It can move forward and back as the rear leafs arc and flatten with their travel. There is absolutely no effect on the suspension.

No binding or creaking ether.
Eric

Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Postby Fred_M1010 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:09 am

I knew I couldn't have been the first to think of using this setup on a 1st gen :)
Report back how it stands up to the abuse from the cummins .
Btw, make sure you weld the axle tube to the pumpkin, especially on the traction bar side,
or you'll end up with a twisted tube :(
-91.5 W250
Fred_M1010
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Sutter1stgen » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:41 am

I do need to put a plug weld on the tube/pumpkin area. Besides that this thing has no problems hold the torque. It is over built. Lol
Eric

Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Return to Chassis