Frame and motor mount questions and what not

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Frame and motor mount questions and what not

Postby FIRST GEN. JAKE » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:43 pm

So here's the deal I got plans to build a regular cab short bed fully bagged 2wd. My plans was to section my frame on 89 2wd reg cab and put the short bed I just bought on it. Then later on notch the frame and do all the suspension mods etc to bag it. But to do that il have to have the truck down and won't be able to drive it. So then I though why not buy another frame. Then I'm worried about the frame height being a factor on 3/4 ton frame not allowing the truck to lay out all the way so then your looking at more major frame modification to "body" the truck. So I thought might cut a front clip off and build back half of the frame. But then this is where my questions start. I was told by a fellow first genner on fb that all the motor mounts gas or diesel are the same even on half ton frames. So if that's the case I could put my 12v in a half ton frame with no mods to be engine mounts. Also told that the half ton frame rails are shorter in height than 3/4 ton ( like 6" compared to 8 or 10" maybe?) so that would make it easier for the truck to lay out. So my question is 1. Are the motor mounts the same? 2. Are halfton rails shorter? 3. Are the spindles on a half ton and 3/4 ton the same? Could you put a 8 lug hub on a half ton spindle?
FIRST GEN. JAKE
fuel pin?

Re: Frame and motor mount questions and what not

Postby Tacoclaw » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:40 am

Motor mounts are kind of the same if you're talking about the piece with rubber in it that isolates the vibrations. The diesel piece has an extra little tit sticking out that sits in a hole, but it's not crucial, and it also has some metal wings that hang off one side, so if the rubber fails it the mount can't separate completely. I think the big block gasser mounts have these as well. Otherwise the gasser mounts will bolt up and hold it in the right place.

The mounting location on the frame is, but the "U" shaped piece of steel that goes from the mount to the engine block is ~1" taller on the gasser. If you have the ones that came with the diesel it won't matter, but if you have gasser ones you can just shorten them and they'll work fine.
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby FIRST GEN. JAKE » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:58 pm

Basically all I need to know is if the spot on the frame wheeee he mounts bolt to is the same location and width as the diesel ones. If so il use my mounts on my Diesel engine to bolt it into the gas frame.
FIRST GEN. JAKE
fuel pin?

Postby dazedandconfused » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:32 pm

You can check out my build thread on here since I'm running a Cummins in my D150 short bed. The only modifications I did to the cross member was drill a hole and open the slot on one side to get the engine level. I'm running the halfton spindles with modified D250 cummins lower control arms and springs. This allows me to use my HD steering components and keep the half ton wheels and look. I plan to eventually bag mine and I hope to see some better frontend parts come out of a few shops I was watching.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby FIRST GEN. JAKE » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:14 pm

Il check it out. The reason I was curious about the spindles was because I'd like to run 8 lug hubs but if I could find a company that makes lowering spindles for a halfton I would run the 8 lug hubs with them
FIRST GEN. JAKE
fuel pin?

Postby dazedandconfused » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:30 pm

The spindles are different. You can switch it all to 8 lug and it isn't a huge deal.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby FIRST GEN. JAKE » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Yea changing it out wouldn't be a big deal. Just wondering if the hubs would work if anyone made after market lowering spindles for halftons. Not sure if anyone even makes any
FIRST GEN. JAKE
fuel pin?

Postby dazedandconfused » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:01 am

No lowering spindles for our trucks. Guys modify Dakota drop spindles to work but I've not really looked into it.
Big Andy
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Return to Chassis