STEERING HAS A MIND OF ITS OWN

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

STEERING HAS A MIND OF ITS OWN

Postby CWT » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:22 pm

Ive been slowly getting this truck put back together. I fired it up for the first time last night and was letting it get warm to check for leaks and what not. I had filled the ps pump up in the mean time. While standing there by the fender the steering wheel took off on its own to the left and got against the stop and you could hear the pump in a bind. WOW. I took the pressure line out of the back of the pump and relived the pressure so I could get the wheel to turn back right. while I had it off I took the plunger and spring out of the back of the pump. I had trash on it and was crusty. so I cleaned it up and reinstalled. Filled it back up started the engine and began slowly turning it right to left. I was like well that fixed the problem.... nope it jerked the wheel out of my hand and went all the way left and stopped again. I replaced the pump and flush the lines and box out real good. Same problem. I mean its got to be the box but is this a common problem? A friend said there was all kinds of hits on google about this but I haven't found a article with the exact problem. Kinda scary deal thinking it could happen while running 100.
CWT
fuel screw!!!!

Re: STEERING HAS A MIND OF ITS OWN

Postby ellis93 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:03 am

Seen it on some old Chevy c60's a few times after they set for years but that's all. Never read or heard of it happening on these
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby CWT » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:34 am

That's the story on this truck. It has sat for a good while. Its got me stumped. I want to know what is the culprit. I know if you throw enough parts at it eventually it will be fixed. but I want to know the cause.
CWT
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ellis93 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:29 am

Each time the sector was replaced and fixed it.

Look At it this way.... Your pump doesn't know anything but make pressure,your sector/gear box doesn't use the pressure until you twist it's input shaft (you turn wheel) and some kind of valving applies pressure to a hydraulic ram. The problem Lyes in that valving,it's stuck....rusted,filled with trash or something.

To reaffirm the pump isn't bad, I have experience in actually blowing the back out of one by messing around with its spool valve. Those pumps either make pressure or they don't.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby CWT » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:40 am

Yep make sense. I got a sector on the way now.
CWT
fuel screw!!!!

Postby CWT » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:07 pm

Just got finished installing a new box. Went ahead and put new lines too. Steers great. The whole taking off to the left on its own is a scary deal. all ive thought about is if it done that going down the road.
CWT
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Chassis