Axle spindle issue

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Axle spindle issue

Postby theoldmanW350 » Sat May 17, 2014 12:48 am

Hello all. I've had a rear brake lock up issue for some time. Finally pulled the plug behind the glove box after first adjusting the brakes and e-brake. After pulling the plug the lock up stopped (abs valve?). This is on my 90 W350 cummins. I knew I had to get into pulling the drums to get a look and finally did so. The passenger side hub seal seemed to have failed. It was really greasy in there. Seems it was also a combo with a leaky wheel cyl. I should have taken photos. Oh well. Anyway the axle spindle has quite a bit of what i would call rust. Particularly on the top side. I'm concerned this will interfere with the hub seal doing its job of keeping the gear oil out of the drum. Can I use something to remove the rust scale like a flapper wheel or something to that affect? I'm into new shoes/hardware, seals, and freshly turned drums so you can understand the concern. This is a first for me with this truck and I wanna get it square the first time. Thanks for any advice.
1990 W350. Getrag overfilled. Stock fuel. Stock turbo. M2 fuel pin. Hungry Diesel HVLP lift pump, 2nd gen IC w/ 3" Pusher Intake. Air bag set-up, onboard air. BD exhaust brake. Almost all 4" exhaust. Autometer's. Upgrades as money allows.
theoldmanW350
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Axle spindle issue

Postby theoldmanW350 » Sat May 17, 2014 1:21 am

Shoot. I've had a few beers and forgot some Q's. Does the hub seal go on dry? I purchased disk brake grease for the bearings (looks like vaseline). Is this compatible with the gear oil? Can you tell I'm newbie? I'm gonna crack another beer. Oh ya. Does the depth of the seal matter? The seals I removed seemed about a 1/16 into the hub. I'm not looking forward to driving these seals in. I replaced my front seal and that was a bitch. Advice welcomed.
1990 W350. Getrag overfilled. Stock fuel. Stock turbo. M2 fuel pin. Hungry Diesel HVLP lift pump, 2nd gen IC w/ 3" Pusher Intake. Air bag set-up, onboard air. BD exhaust brake. Almost all 4" exhaust. Autometer's. Upgrades as money allows.
theoldmanW350
fuel screw!!!!

Postby diesel freak01 » Sat May 17, 2014 6:11 am

I would not use a flap wheel. You will take to much and never get a good seal.i would get some Emory cloth or light sand paper. As for the rest I'm not sure. Haven't been in my rear brakes yet.
1993 d350 ctd drw 2wd auto
diesel freak01
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Tacoclaw » Sat May 17, 2014 7:19 am

I just take some fine-grit sand paper and go around it until I like the looks of it. I agree a flap wheel would be a bit much, and you may get the surface out of round.

I've always put grease on the seal lips, unless specifically told not to. Not giant globs, just a thin coating. Never had a problem.

I bearing grease won't hurt the gear oil, no worries there, and I drove my seals in flush with the boss they sit in but a little farther back won't hurt anything. They may have been trying to bump it up out of any grooves worn in it.
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby theoldmanW350 » Sat May 17, 2014 8:59 am

I thought emery paper/light sand paper as well. I thought perhaps there was a flap wheel that was super fine that would make a quick job of it without removing any metal. OK thanks so far guys.
theoldmanW350
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Chassis