Rear spindle nut "click?"

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Rear spindle nut "click?"

Postby theoldmanW350 » Wed May 21, 2014 4:15 pm

Just buttoning up my rear brake job (finally). After torqueing the pass. side nut to 140 lbs as i'm backing it off 1/3 of a turn i'm getting a "click". it's not clickclickclickclick it's click---click---click. didn't get that on the driver side. i upgraded to the stage 8 spindle nut system FYI. should i be concerned? i'm one of those owners...

Thanks.
1990 W350. Getrag overfilled. Stock fuel. Stock turbo. M2 fuel pin. Hungry Diesel HVLP lift pump, 2nd gen IC w/ 3" Pusher Intake. Air bag set-up, onboard air. BD exhaust brake. Almost all 4" exhaust. Autometer's. Upgrades as money allows.
theoldmanW350
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Rear spindle nut "click?"

Postby CumminsPower59 » Wed May 21, 2014 6:26 pm

What is a "stage 8" spindle nut? Are they them goofy ratcheting units like the newer Ferds have?
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby opiebennett » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:23 pm

Stage 8 system -
http://www.stage8.com/spindlenut.html

You might try and throw the nylock back on, and tighten it down, and see if you get the same result or not. The torque to 140 is just to ensure the bearings are fully seated, then backing it off 1/3 turn sets the appropriate pre-load.

Does the drum spin nice? or do the bearings make noise?
Bryan 'Opie' Bennett
91.5 5.9L with 21mm H1C/A518/NP205 Reg Cab LE Pyro/Boost/Trans Temp/BD Fuel Pin/Some fuel screw/Diamond Eye 4" exhaust/B+M Deep Trans Pan/3rd Gen aluminum wheels
opiebennett
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:47 pm

I'm no help on this because I didn't personally do it, but my Dana 80 rear has those "goofy ratcheting ford units". We put them in there on purpose.

Is the one side not doing it because it's not seating correctly?
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby theoldmanW350 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:12 pm

@opie, thanks for the url. I gotta learn to do that automatically when referring to any aftermarket parts. Re-installing the nylock nut for a test was so genius I didn't even think of it. Another lesson learned. I understand the torque/back off procedure and it's reason, and I wish I owned a dial indicator to really set the pre-load. When I was backing off, the "click" seemed to emerge within the drum itself. After the back off the drum spun nice, and the bearings made no noise. I turned the drum several times on both sides with no abnormal sound.
@RC, I made sure the drum was fully seated on both sides. With new hub seals it was a slight hard, gentle push to get them onto the axle.
I actually went up into the hills over the weekend to do some camping and drove the old man at least an hour over bumpy, curvy asphalt roads then a good ways on forest roads. He stops good, no strange sounds at highway speed, no leaking gear oil or brake fluid. I'm stumped to what it was, but I'm shrugging my shoulders and calling it good. I appreciate the questions and @opie, nice write up on the rear disc conversion. This brake job of mine had me dipping into the cooler for a cold one more times than I'd like to admit.
1990 W350. Getrag overfilled. Stock fuel. Stock turbo. M2 fuel pin. Hungry Diesel HVLP lift pump, 2nd gen IC w/ 3" Pusher Intake. Air bag set-up, onboard air. BD exhaust brake. Almost all 4" exhaust. Autometer's. Upgrades as money allows.
theoldmanW350
fuel screw!!!!

Postby classiccarjack » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:03 pm

Thank you for having this up, this has been a big help!
classiccarjack
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Chassis