Stainless brake line kit/set

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Stainless brake line kit/set

Postby Cumminsandy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:35 pm

Hello all, noob to this site. I own a 1990 w250. So I have had my sweet ride for over 5years now and love it...other than the brakes. 5 years ago I had the rear brakes redone by a shop. They also did the brake master. Well, the brake master started leaking again. This time, I am doing it so I know it's all correct. So I replaced the brake master, vacuum pump, brake booster, front pads, rear shoes, wheel cylinders, drums, adjusters, adjuster spring and mechanism, rear bearings, seals, and brake spring kit . So then upon tightening the old lines into the new cylinders, the line twisted and kinked and essentially broke. So now I am just going to upgrade the entire system and do a stainless brake line kit/set. Does anyone know where I can find a pre bent stainless kit that I can just install?? I noticed that the leaking master cylinder rotted the front lines out also. So now, I am just going to replace every line on the truck and be done with it for a while. Also, can I just bypass the rwal unit in the rear driver frame rail.. I've heard that they give a lot of guys problems. After getting the brakes in and battling them, this straw broke this camels back and I'm pretty frustrated about how badly the brake lines are beat.
Cumminsandy
smoke screw?

Re: Stainless brake line kit/set

Postby PToombs » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:15 pm

Hi, welcome to the site! Yes, you can bypass the ABS valve in the rear, a very good brake mod for most people. Behind the glovebox is the ABS brain, unplug that too, it's a black box.
Rebuilt masters are crappy most of the time, there's been lots of threads on here about it. Leaks externally, don't work, won't bleed, seen a bunch of it.
Don't know about stainless kits, sorry!
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby mknittle » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:33 am

The "kits" are too expensive for what you get I am piecing the parts together out of parts from Summit racing.
http://www.summitracing.com/search?Sort ... ake%20hose

It takes a little adapting but costs about half the price of kits.

one more link.
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ ... p?t=150248

and how I did mine ,So far (post221)
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ ... 71p15.html
mknittle
fuel pin?

Postby lz69 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:01 am

I have a stainless braid line kit from egr brakes on mine. Wouldn't recommend buying from them though, shipped them a month after they said they would and the three front lines(4x4) required a bit of work to fit.

First the hole in the center line is not big enough to clear the shoulder on the axle vent bolt so I had to grind the shoulder down. Secondly I had to fab up 2 L-brackets like the ones posted in the link.

Not a big issue but when you spend what they charge they should be a bolt on part with all the proper brackets.
lz69
fuel screw!!!!

Postby mknittle » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:49 pm

That is the reason I rarely buy kits. I end up modifying most of it. :grin:
mknittle
fuel pin?

Return to Chassis