I'd like to put the end to this rumor or myth.....

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

I'd like to put the end to this rumor or myth.....

Postby Dan NJ » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:44 pm

So I've been told that 74-87 chevy front leafs will work in out trucks but will push the axle forward 1". Can anyone put some light on this subject. I'm pretty sure they hold the weight because a guy local to me has a cummins swapped chevy with 8" springs in it.
Dan NJ
fuel screw!!!!

Re: I'd like to put the end to this rumor or myth.....

Postby Tacoclaw » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:53 pm

Here's the spring guide I use, I found it over on Pirate.

In terms of weight-bearing, I couldn't tell you.
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:57 pm

Oh!

You said front leaves.

From the couple I measured, they're 24" eye to eye which matches ours definitely. I'll have to see if I can find one sitting to get the pin offset.
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby Dan NJ » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:17 pm

Yea fronts, but dude that diagram is awesome I def appreciate you posting that.
Dan NJ
fuel screw!!!!

Postby comotionman » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 pm

I would encourage you to try it, as they will likely fit better than the majority of aftermarket springs made for the dodge. You may have to swap bushings but that should not be a bfd. from what I have seen most spring makers don't know what the reality is and most buyers are no better off. The problem is most springs are just too dang long, and the buyer doesn't recognize whats going on and they go ahead and install them with the eye right on or darn close to the frame. Then they will complain of the rough ride, or just don't know any better and think they are the greatest thing ever, with the spring eye kissing the frame. So yeah, the 73 and up gm springs could very well help you avoid some of this misadventure. Here's the numbers: gm length 46.9, dodge 48. Both have centered pins and that means the gm leaf could pull the axle forward about half an inch. And hopefully will allow for a better shackle angle and allow a bit of articulation. There is a guy online somewhere that has some gm springs on his 1stgen.
coupla trucks non & ic, 2nd gens, various other
comotionman
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Dan NJ » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:59 am

We'll after all the Chevys I have owned I just dug around my garage and I'm about 99% sure I have a pair of what looks like 6" super lift springs. I'm gonna order some steering and shocks etc and test this theory out. I'll let you guys know in a few weeks how it works out . I have a set of 14" atlas springs I know for sure are Chevy but my dodge isn't going that big hahahah
Dan NJ
fuel screw!!!!

Postby oldestof11 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:21 am

FYI, I think it is Skyjackers, gas and diesel lift springs are listed as the same. One is 4" (gas) and the other is 2". So that might be good for a 3" lift.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:32 pm

I noticed a little discrepancy in that chart. The 2nd gen springs are 3" wide, not 2 1/2 like ours. Pretty sure the 3rd gen springs are 3" too. Plus the chart is only for 1/2 ton trucks! :lol:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby lz69 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:34 pm

PToombs wrote:I noticed a little discrepancy in that chart. The 2nd gen springs are 3" wide, not 2 1/2 like ours. Pretty sure the 3rd gen springs are 3" too. Plus the chart is only for 1/2 ton trucks! :lol:

There are some dodge 3/4 ton and chevy 3/4 springs on that chart like the 56" chevy springs and 3/4 eye dodge springs but like you say it's mainly half ton springs for the 4x4 crowd.
lz69
fuel screw!!!!

Postby little doug » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:02 pm

There may be some caster issues to address, as dodge springs have one eye up and the other down. Chevy springs have both eyes up.
93 W250 LE extra cab, 5 speed,warn winch, tach,piro,boost gauges. Gov.spring and fuel pin... Play truck
-91 W350 LE reg cab chassis.exxxxtended 175"wb, banks intercooler,on board air ,5 speed,... Work truck
little doug
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Chassis