Front suspension upgrade

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Front suspension upgrade

Postby v8coupe » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:16 am

Ok I've broken my second control arm up front with a ball joint popping out. I want to get a better front suspension that isn't such a pain to work on and has upgrade options. I am considering swapping a 2nd gen front clip on. Has this ever been done, any other suggestions for what to get a front suspension from?

I want bigger brakes, better handling, better suspensions, and easy parts availability.
v8coupe
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Front suspension upgrade

Postby thrashingcows » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:42 pm

I think the biggest problem lies in the aftermarket replacement parts that we are forced to use. There just is no really good, top end quality, parts for the 2wd front ends anymore.

I rebuilt the 2wd front end in my crewcab after I bought it. When i tore it apart to d the 4wd conversion, it was pretty much toast. That was only about 20-25K miles! I put all new Moog pieces in, as suggested by many. And I have heard of many other 2wd cummins truck owners who have had the same issues. One guy actually paid more money for parts from "Just Suspension" and his wore out in the same amount of time.
1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 330K Km's, M&H spacer, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.

Check out the build....http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ ... 05923.html
thrashingcows
14mm rotor

Postby v8coupe » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:00 pm

thrashingcows wrote:I think the biggest problem lies in the aftermarket replacement parts that we are forced to use. There just is no really good, top end quality, parts for the 2wd front ends anymore.

I rebuilt the 2wd front end in my crewcab after I bought it. When i tore it apart to d the 4wd conversion, it was pretty much toast. That was only about 20-25K miles! I put all new Moog pieces in, as suggested by many. And I have heard of many other 2wd cummins truck owners who have had the same issues. One guy actually paid more money for parts from "Just Suspension" and his wore out in the same amount of time.

I put 2 brand new upper control arms from dodge in. Moog upper ball joints and the arm is already stripped I have the ball joint welded back in for the time being, but I don't like that as I had a weld fail on the previous setup.
v8coupe
fuel screw!!!!

Postby thrashingcows » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:46 pm

Have you thought about maybe running a leaf spring, solid axle front end...like from a Ford F-350/450 cab and chassis set-up?
1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 330K Km's, M&H spacer, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.

Check out the build....http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ ... 05923.html
thrashingcows
14mm rotor

Postby v8coupe » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:08 pm

thrashingcows wrote:Have you thought about maybe running a leaf spring, solid axle front end...like from a Ford F-350/450 cab and chassis set-up?

I want Ride quality and I absolutely don't want it any taller. I'd actually like it lower.
v8coupe
fuel screw!!!!

Postby LOGANSTANFORTH » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:24 pm

I'm going to look at building a setup similar to what we run on race cars.

Like these different ones...

http://www.daymotorsports.com/prodpix/upc-0001.jpg

http://d2a3nbsq7878su.cloudfront.net/101-6149.jpg
THEY PUT THEM ON A PLANE TO SOME STRANGE AND FOREIGN LAND, THEY SAID GOODBYE TO MOM AND DAD AND HELLO TO UNCLE SAM, THEY NEVER THOUGHT THE DAY WOULD COME WHEN THEY MIGHT HAVE TO KILL A MAN, THEY DID NOT SLEEP A WINK THAT NIGHT BUT THEY WON FOR UNCLE SAM
LOGANSTANFORTH
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Chassis