1990 D250 suspension problems, PLEASE HELP!!

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

1990 D250 suspension problems, PLEASE HELP!!

Postby LOGANSTANFORTH » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:42 pm

The front steering arm of the spindles are hitting the strut rods on my truck. We've replaced the springs, had other people look at it, had it aligned, replaced parts, we're lost. The steering stops are about a 1/4 inch from touching when the spindles hit the strut rods. The tire will turn so far over center that it will practically lock the steering up at low speed and stop the movement of the truck. The truck also has no front sway bar if that matters.
THEY PUT THEM ON A PLANE TO SOME STRANGE AND FOREIGN LAND, THEY SAID GOODBYE TO MOM AND DAD AND HELLO TO UNCLE SAM, THEY NEVER THOUGHT THE DAY WOULD COME WHEN THEY MIGHT HAVE TO KILL A MAN, THEY DID NOT SLEEP A WINK THAT NIGHT BUT THEY WON FOR UNCLE SAM
LOGANSTANFORTH
fuel screw!!!!

Re: 1990 D250 suspension problems, PLEASE HELP!!

Postby classiccarjack » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:46 pm

LOGANSTANFORTH wrote:The front steering arm of the spindles are hitting the strut rods on my truck. We've replaced the springs, had other people look at it, had it aligned, replaced parts, we're lost. The steering stops are about a 1/4 inch from touching when the spindles hit the strut rods. The tire will turn so far over center that it will practically lock the steering up at low speed and stop the movement of the truck. The truck also has no front sway bar if that matters.

I rebuilt both front ends on our trucks(1991 D250 & 1992 D350 dually), I upgraded to the Raybestos Extra Heavy Duty front springs, used all Raybestos bushings and or Moog during my repairs. One thing that I noticed on BOTH trucks, is that the bolt holes where the strut rods mount, on the lower control arms, were severely wallowed out. To repair them, I welded them up and redrilled the holes. Then I put new bolts in with new locking nuts. The trucks have never driven better, and my plowing into turns and the loud popping sounds are a thing of the past. I hope this helps...
classiccarjack
fuel screw!!!!

Postby LOGANSTANFORTH » Wed May 27, 2015 9:15 pm

They aren't moving, they are tight...

I'm probably going to cut a coil out of the springs and be done with it, the damn things are to tall for a D250 and ride like total crap...

The truck did this with the old springs and with the new springs, I'm tired of fighting this POS...
THEY PUT THEM ON A PLANE TO SOME STRANGE AND FOREIGN LAND, THEY SAID GOODBYE TO MOM AND DAD AND HELLO TO UNCLE SAM, THEY NEVER THOUGHT THE DAY WOULD COME WHEN THEY MIGHT HAVE TO KILL A MAN, THEY DID NOT SLEEP A WINK THAT NIGHT BUT THEY WON FOR UNCLE SAM
LOGANSTANFORTH
fuel screw!!!!

Postby oldestof11 » Thu May 28, 2015 2:34 pm

How many turns can you do lock to lock?

Don't cut the springs, you increase spring rate. It will ride rougher. I took stock springs and cut a coil out. They ride stiffer but not terribly so IMHO.

Just curious, how long is your pitman arm from center of steering box to steering linkage?
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Return to Chassis