Steering box removal????

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Steering box removal????

Postby Firstgen11 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:35 pm

Has anybody removed they're steering box on they're w250 of so any special steps or tools what all is needed with the patience lol anybody have any step by step guidelines to this or special tricks if so just let me know asap thanks
Firstgen11
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Steering box removal????

Postby lz69 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:59 pm

From what I remember you will need pitman arm puller, long breaker bar, a variety of short and long sockets to get to the bolts on the inside of the frame rail and backer wrenches.

Use lots of heat when trying to get the pitman a off they are held on with 150+ ft/lbs of torque and can be a pain to break free. Getting the bolts that hold the steering gear bracket can be a real pain, since there's one that's tight to the radiator crossmember and you only get about a 16th of a turn at a time when breaking them free and tightening them.

The oil lines and hold down bracket are pretty simple to get to but I ended up having to replace them on my truck since the flared fittings were rusted solid to the steel lines.

Finally it would be a good time to check for cracks in the frame and bracket since they are problem area on most 4x4's.
lz69
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Steering box removal????

Postby CumminsPower59 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:50 am

Don't forget the roll pin for the steering shaft, for some reason they like to come out only one way...
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Return to Chassis