Grinding/knocking sounds when steering [2WD]

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Grinding/knocking sounds when steering [2WD]

Postby Jelmer » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:15 am

Our '93 D250 makes a grinding/knocking sound when steering and standing still/driving very slow. I checked the front suspension but coudn't find anything, nothing looks like it is touching. I'ts got new upper and lower balljoints but this didn't made a diffrence.
Greetings from the Netherlands where there are only 2 or 3 1stgens!
93 D250 Cummins, G360, 4" stainless exhaust, BHAF, DennyT stage 2 pin, 3200rpm governor spring, 12cm housing, rest stock.
03 VW Bora 1.6
83 Datsun Laurel 4.5 32v V8
84 Nissan Patrol 2.8i
Jelmer
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Grinding/knocking sounds when steering [2WD]

Postby PToombs » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:14 pm

It's a 2wd thing. Mine makes a snapping noise when I back into the driveway turning left. It was better after I changed the strut bushings, but it started again after a few years. I can't find anything loose either under it.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Horicon93 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:06 pm

Make sure the ball joints have been greased. Sounds like a "given" but the shop that installed mine never greased them, and I had the same type of sound that you're describing.
'93 Extended Cab, DRW, 2WD, Auto, 4 1/2" stacks, Bone Stock
Horicon93
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ArtBee » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:15 pm

My D250 and every other one I've seen makes the same snapping/grinding/what ever you call it noise when turned to full stop in either direction ... rough surface its worse. What I figure is that its the steering spindle rubbing up against the uneven end of the strut rod, which is actually the steering stop. Was always going to clean up the end of the strut rod with a grinder, but never got around to it.

Art
1993 W350, 1991 D250 (non IC), 1969 Plymouth GTX, 1961 Chrysler 300G, 1966 Chev BelAir
ArtBee
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dr_funk » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:07 pm

Mine makes a "pop" when braking and backing out of parking spaces, or pulling forward after having backed in. My theory is that its the brake calipers shifting, because it's always done it, even after I rebuilt the front suspension on mine (new control arms, bushings, ball joints, steering linkage, etc.), and it only happens when braking.

The calipers basically float in their seats and are held in with the little sheet metal retainers. When driving forward, engaging the brakes always pushes the calipers forward into the bracket, where they remain as long as you keep driving forward. However, when you stop and then move in reverse and brake again, the calipers grab and move backwards, snapping against the back side of the bracket.

This is only a theory, but I think it's a good one.
dr_funk
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:39 pm

That may be your noise, and I've heard it before on mine, the caliper and the perch are worn causing that. The pop when backing up is definitely a different sound, much deeper and louder than the caliper bumping the perch.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Return to Chassis