fuel tank tune up

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

fuel tank tune up

Postby kwrank » Sat May 02, 2015 8:13 am

lately truck has been running noticeably better with half to full tank, so yesterday i dropped the tank--nothing (far as i can tell) too awful inside; draw straw tubing very stiff, the return tube completely gone (there should be one, from the fitting in the top of the tank to the inside of the module, right?), interesting mat of what looks like garden debris on the inside strainer of the module (strainer on bottom nice and clean), remaining fuel in tank (2-3 gal) looks pretty good. have read bc's writeup on upgrading the pickup tube, am considering doing that just to get away from the plastic fittings that seemed kind of sloppy at first glance last night. anything else i should be on the lookout for once i get it all cleaned up? thanks (tanks?) in advance k
92 W250 CC HX35/16 366 190's lp piston lift hughes converter
kwrank
fuel screw!!!!

Re: fuel tank tune up

Postby CumminsPower59 » Sun May 10, 2015 9:46 am

If the module seals are in good shape and not leaking, you can shorten the lenght of the main tank vent located to the rear of the tank. You'll have to make the cut from the inside, shorten the vent tube to about 1-2" from the top. This will allow a few more gallons to be filled into the tank. Sometimes the roll over valve on the top of the module won't completely seal, so I used a section of rubber hose and routed it up with the main vent/filler neck. This will allow you to fill the tank completely without leaking fuel all over.
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Return to Chassis