At home frame straightening

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

At home frame straightening

Postby Sutter1stgen » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:34 am

I think we all know that these old dodge frames are a little flexy. All but one of the previous owners of my w250 treated my truck harder than usual. My truck had a twist in it that was about a inch of difference in the front fender openings. This twist got under my skin(which I shared with some of the members here). Drivers side appears to be raked, passenger side appeared to be nose up.
First order of business was to take measurements all around the frame(make sure your on level ground).
I finally located the areas that needed isolation.

First I used some rough landmarks on the body with a level:
Then I used some scrap pieces I was lucky to have laying around to apply some reverse pressure.
Now I can't stress enough, be careful!!!!!! Of possible parts breaking, but most importantly yours or friends safety.
As I pulled or pushed on the frame I put a piece of Dom tube that fit into the "c" of the frame to keep it from collapsing.
When all was said and done at the end of the day thing looked a lot better
I'm no professional, not even a body man, but anyone who takes their time and comes up with a good attack plan can accomplish this. Don't let a flaw in your truck bug you… twist it back.

Eric.
Eric

91'w250 with a new pump. This one doesn't chase itself around in a circle.
Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Re: At home frame straightening

Postby CumminsPower59 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:06 pm

That's pretty neat. My old 92 had a twist to it, and the drivers side of the truck seemed to have a hump in in, always bugged me, but got rid of it before I did anything about it.

Off topic, are those true-blue Alcoa wheels, or the Ford variant? If so, what do you think of them?
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:02 pm

I've never seen it done like that, good thinking! My buddy had a 10 wheel mack that got rolled, we pulled the box, chained it to the lowboy and used 2 50 ton jacks and twisted it back close to straight. We had to hit the cross members with a sledgehammer to jar them back, but it worked.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby RumbleFish » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:26 pm

Looks like real alcoas Ike. The ford ones like mine have 4 notches around the hub hole where the center cap would attach.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby Sutter1stgen » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:27 pm

Ike I pulled them off my boss's firstgen thinking they were ford alcoas, from a OBS. But Rumble fish seems to say they aren't, which I'll take his word for it. Lol. I know there are still Alcoa stickers on some of them. As for liking them they're light and don't stick out to far. I'm not much of a huge offset guy anymore(I feel they stress the kingpins) so I dig em'.

Pete I almost strapped the truck down to my dads backhoe trailer and gave her hell. But I figured cool concrete would be better to slide across than a wood deck. I watched as much of the truck frame repair videos as I could before I attempted this. Those guys can work wonders with twisted metal.
Thanks for the kind words too fellas.
Eric

91'w250 with a new pump. This one doesn't chase itself around in a circle.
Sutter1stgen
14mm rotor

Return to Chassis