are resr leaf spring U-Bolts disposable ?

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

are resr leaf spring U-Bolts disposable ?

Postby jethro » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:19 pm

I have to take my rear axle off for overhaul- it has been lifted by previous owner-
rear U-Bolts are like 14 inches long. Got the nuts to move a little - but then the shank flexes instead of the nut moving.
I will probably want to reverse most of the lift when it goes back together-
would it be fine to just cut the through the shanks and replace later with different length ?
I had heard someone claim that they shouldn't be re-used anyway----- can anyone confirm ?

Thanks-
Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Re: are resr leaf spring U-Bolts disposable ?

Postby matthewh » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:06 am

Generally you shouldn't reuse ubolts, however, in my opinion its more based on there condition.
Sounds like yours are in rough shape anyways, and if you reverse that loft, you'll need shorter ones anyways, so id cut or torch the current ones off
'93 W350 5spd Getrag, 4.10 gears, 83k miles and counting, Mods: LPPP AKA Ma Dually
'54 Dodge M37 6.2/700R4/205, 5.89 gears, WC rear axle
matthewh
14mm rotor

Postby CumminsPower59 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:26 am

Cut the old U bolts out. Generally, I don't reuse them, other than for "mock up" purposes. The longer they are, the more "stretch" they have, and its just safer to replace them.
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:05 am

I reuse stock bolts......never aftermarket. No telling what they're made
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby 1992gen1_fan » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:29 am

I've always heared your supposed to replace them if they're removed, I removed the ones from my truck without damage but I went ahead and bought new one as I'm switching to wider springs. I'm keeping the originals though, they would be good bolts for something.
'92 Dodge w350, 5 spd, Dana 80 3.54, timing spacer, ground stock pin&3200 spring, vgt, hungry diesel piston pump, water/meth, Honed stock injectors, 4" turbo back, light IP adjustments
1992gen1_fan
fuel screw!!!!

Postby jethro » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:58 pm

I tried with heat, then tried with heat and 1/2 inch impact- heat with 3 foot breaker bar. It started to twist off the square
end of the breaker bar- I gave up ! The shanks are about 12 inches long - they just wind up when you apply torque.
I started cutting them with a slitting saw. Ran out of daylight.

Figured out how to un-do the parking brake clips- hose clamp really tight- then pull it through the hole letting the clamp slide off as it goes through the hole.

Thanks for the support ! I will be gutting the rear end housing and then cleaning the housing inside and out.

Built uprights into my engine dolly to serve as a stand.

Thanks for the help !
Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 1992gen1_fan » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:03 pm

Hey I like the idea to get the prk brake cables out with the hose clamp. I'm going to give that a try next time I mess with them
'92 Dodge w350, 5 spd, Dana 80 3.54, timing spacer, ground stock pin&3200 spring, vgt, hungry diesel piston pump, water/meth, Honed stock injectors, 4" turbo back, light IP adjustments
1992gen1_fan
fuel screw!!!!

Postby CumminsPower59 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:34 am

Tim, just torch the things off.
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby BobS » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:02 am

I never reuse my spring u-bolts. I have all of my replacement spring u-bolts made by a local spring shop that has been in business since the late 1940's. Their normal customers include most of the local big trucking fleets and some of the bus lines. They have not had any mention-able failures and are forged in their own shop. To me they are just too cheap to gamble using a stretched used u-bolt.
BobS

Creating jobs is a byproduct of making a PROFIT!

91.5 W250 NV4500 Conversion
89 D350 Stock
92 W250 Crew Cab finally in progress
86 D150 wannabe 4BT http://4btswaps.com/
BobS
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:39 pm

I read U bolts stretch when torqued, and are not meant to be reused. Doing so is taking peoples lives in your hands. I cut them off and replace them with new when I have to remove them too. Like Bob said, they are cheap enough to replace.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:24 am

PToombs wrote:I read U bolts stretch when torqued, and are not meant to be reused. Doing so is taking peoples lives in your hands. I cut them off and replace them with new when I have to remove them too. Like Bob said, they are cheap enough to replace.

I'm sure they stretch,it's what they're designed to do. Also,from what I can find on any dodge service manual on my computer at work.....there is no mentioned replacement of ubolts (spring clamping bolts). You know who does recommend it heavily.....aftermarket suppliers. You know why? So they can sell parts.
When's the last time you heard of a u bolt failing and killing someone Pete? How about you Mr Bob?
I've been in and around the automotive industry since I was old enough to push a broom effectively.....I've seen those bolts used over again and have not seen,or had one comeback from an issue with them. I can honestly say this is within the last 20yrs of my life (I'm 35).
Now I'm also just as certain that some dumbass has tried to reuse a half way rusted in two bolt at some time,maybe a bolt that was halfway twisted,or gualded. Yeah....some commomn sense needs to be used.

This crap with "you're taking people's lives in your hands"......no schit,I hadn't noticed. I haven't noticed that on every brake job,universal joint replacement,or tire rotation I've done. Yeah....I guess I could half ass a u joint install and have the front joint come out and let the driveshaft catapult the ass of the vehicle over the front. Or how bout I just tighten the hell out of the lug nuts till the studs stretch till they loose diameter,breaking off as the owner turns a curve. Guess I could just let all the brake fluid out of the system,hoping it all just works.....with magic. Lots of lives in hands.

I am sure you all in the salt and snow have issues with rusty ass bolts and honestly if I lived there (God forbid) I'd probably have the same opinions,but in other areas of the world where steel might actually stay whole......and on a factory bolt. I'll hang with mine.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:57 pm

That's what I meant, they are designed to stretch.
If you are having a bad day, go and kick the shop cat, don't come and yell at me, that's what I have a wife for! :P
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:48 pm

PToombs wrote:That's what I meant, they are designed to stretch.
If you are having a bad day, go and kick the shop cat, don't come and yell at me, that's what I have a wife for! :P

Ain't yelling! No bold type! :lol:

Yeah they are Pete. Only thing is they are grade 5 or 8 stuff. With that kind of tensile strength I highly doubt they would break.....unless they've been compromised by rust,idiots,or r&r several times.
Since we're taking about it.....what do the 4x4 guys do about the studs for the front leafs? Bet money nobody runs out and changes those. Same principle applies.
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:04 pm

I just torched them. I cut the first one with a angle grinder with a slitting abrasive blade. I got it cut about 80% of the way
through and --- BAMMMMMMMM ! the last 20% just broke with a bang. nearly fell on my butt. I expected it and was
anticipating that........
Solved that problem- used the torch- heated about 1 inch long section red hot- that let the tension out as it responded
by elongating. Then when I cut - no bang !

Looking for some regular used rear springs (used if I can find them)

Trying to get the nuts off was like trying to use 3 feet of extensions on a ratchet...... nothing but torsional flex.

Got the rear axle up on the stand and all most all the way apart !

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby BobS » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:41 am

Unless you are speaking of a brand new vehicle - In my part of the world there are no unrusted used ubolts. Each rust spot is a small missing cavity in the structure of the ubolt. As you retorque the used ubolt these little slices and notches from the rust aid in the amount of stretch and fractures the bolt will see.

Also have you folks ever installed a set of ubolts, then torqued them to shop specs? Have you ever gone back and checked the torque the next day? I found that you could continually retorque these bolts just a little each day until they break. Why is this? How about the stretch due to the length and diameter of the ubolt.

If you are comfortable with your process and have not experienced any failures, then by all means continue your current practices. Rust in my part of the world prevents this reuse procedure and makes it uncomfortable for me. And sadly if age has anything to do with this, it's something I started learning about since I was 15 years old. That was back in 1965.
BobS

Creating jobs is a byproduct of making a PROFIT!

91.5 W250 NV4500 Conversion
89 D350 Stock
92 W250 Crew Cab finally in progress
86 D150 wannabe 4BT http://4btswaps.com/
BobS
14mm rotor

Next

Return to Chassis