HELP! drag link rubbing!!

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

HELP! drag link rubbing!!

Postby boomerbabe » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:14 pm

Hi Guys.
So - about 3 years ago I had my entire front end rebuilt on my 93 d250 12v...it was the 2nd time...and that was 90k miles ago. This time I plan to do it myself and have....except I"ve yet to install the drag link. I waited because there were more pressing issues with upper and lower control arm ball joints...which are replaced and working great.

Today I ALMOST started on the drag link and idler arm...and I noticed 2 rub marks where the tie rods connect to the drag link. The rub marks are on the cross member where the drag link runs along and the rubs happen at full left and full right leaving 2 nickle sized rub marks on the crossmember.

I"ve never noticed it before and it doesn't affect the steering. But....its not right and when I put my new draglink in...with new tie rods....I can't see anything that would improve this rubbing.

I stared....thought...and then thought...HEY...maybe the last guy put the drag link in BACKWARDS...which would be possible...

So I set the new one next to the old...in the opposite direction...and it APPEARS that if I put it in that way...the geometry would clear the crossmember...and the rubbing would be gone.
But...I don't know...maybe its right and there is something else that would create this rub that I can't figger.

Has anyone encountered this before on 1st gens. Everything is new...new control arm bushings...new springs...new ball joints...everything.

Im lost on why this drag link is SO CLOSE to the crossmember. HELP!
boomerbabe
fuel pin?

Re: HELP! drag link rubbing!!

Postby boomerbabe » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:22 pm

http://s135.photobucket.com/user/wb3leq ... k.jpg.html

this is a picture of what my suspension looks like. You can see the nuts where the tie rods attach to the center link...drag link..and barely make out the idler arm on the left. I don't see any place to adjust this whole set up OUT away from the crossmember and eliminate the rubbing.
boomerbabe
fuel pin?

Return to Chassis