T-Cows Hydroboost thread.....

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: T-Cows Hydroboost thread.....

Postby thrashingcows » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:34 pm

Here is another link. Again Mark (Mknittle) found this site originally. If you are not up to cutting, threading and making your own push rod, then you can order the parts to make one from these guys.

http://www.tallonhydraulics.com/store/i ... dffe8b96c1
1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 330K Km's, M&H spacer, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.

Check out the build....http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ ... 05923.html
thrashingcows
14mm rotor

Re: T-Cows Hydroboost thread.....

Postby thrashingcows » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:34 pm

On Nov 11/15 the PS system died on the truck. Was pretty sure it was the PS pump, but did not have time to fix it until today.

So I had some time today to swap out the PS pump....well at least that was what I was going to start with since I still had a spare Vacuum pump/PS set-up. It was actually the original set-up from my 93 motor, but I had converted my 89 motor to the IC style set-up and rebuilt the Vacuum pump, so that was what I swapped onto the 93 before it went in the crewcab. The original set-up from the 93 still had a painted date code of Oct 20/1992 on the PS pump!

I swapped it on, "T" the return line and then primed the system. Fire it up and all seems well. Took it for a good drive and no issues. The temperature of the PS lines was significantly less as well.

So a little info about priming the system after a PS pump, PS box or hydroboost change. Over the last couple days I have been doing some reading and research about priming the PS system properly. I'm pretty sure I am the reason the PS pump failed.

Here's What I did,
- fill the reservoir, then remove the power to the FSS and crank the motor for about 10-15 sec, then check the fluid again.
- Then I fired it up for about 10-15 seconds, shut it off and check fluid again.
- Then fired it up again and this time turned lock to lock with wheels off the ground. Took quite a while to finally get hyd pressure through the system.

It was during this air lock situation that I think the pump burned up the seals.

Now after my research I came across a few references to this procedure.

-fill the reservoir with fresh fluid. DO NOT START THE MOTOR! Then with wheels off the ground "slowly" crank the wheels lock to lock (LH and RH). Then check fluid level.
-Continue lock to lock slowly, checking the fluid after each cycle. I did this 10 times (LH to RH and back).
-Then I unhooked the FSS and cranked the motor for about 10-15 sec. Checked the fluid level.
-Did another 5 lock to lock cycles, checking fluid level.
-Crank motor again (FSS unhooked) for another 10-15 sec.
-Then another 5 lock to lock cycles.
-Fired motor up and cranked lock to lock 5 times, checking fluid.
-Dropped wheels back on the ground and everything was smooth as silk.

So far so good, so Will give it a week or so before purchasing a new PS pump for a 2nd Gen with hydroboost.
1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 330K Km's, M&H spacer, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.

Check out the build....http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ ... 05923.html
thrashingcows
14mm rotor

Previous

Return to Chassis