Question on 1989 D250 ignition actuation rods and linkage

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Question on 1989 D250 ignition actuation rods and linkage

Postby 888 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:53 pm

I'm working on my son's 89 D250 5 speed 2WD, it came with a jacked up arrangement to start it that bypassed the ignition lock cylinder.

I'm starting to see why, I've got the inside of the column apart and all the linkages at the steering wheel end are visible and I see how it works at the steering wheel end. The key will turn to the accessory position and to the position where the key can be removed, but won't turn to the start position. The rod going down the top of the steering column appears to be binding and preventing the key from turning to the start position.

I can occasionally get the rod into the start position without being connected but once I connect the column parts and the lock cylinder to the rod, it binds up mechanically and won't go to the start position.

I can't see what exactly is up there on top of the column at the other end of the rod and can't find anything on the web so far but is it electrically connected somehow? Does the actuator rod even need to be connected to the lock cylinder end? I assume so and I'll have to drop the column down to replace whatever is up there but I thought I would ask.

Thanks!
93 Dodge D-350 Cummins Xcab DRW - completely stock
89 Dodge D-250 Cummins SRW 5 speed father and son project
84 Dodge D-100 5 speed slant 6
92 Dodge D-350 Cummins DRW 5 speed
others....
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Question on 1989 D250 ignition actuation rods and linkage

Postby thrashingcows » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:26 pm

There are two rods that run along the top of the steering column, they run to a couple switches. Here is a couple pics of my spare 89 column.

1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 330K Km's, M&H spacer, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.

Check out the build....http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ ... 05923.html
thrashingcows
14mm rotor

Re: Question on 1989 D250 ignition actuation rods and linkage

Postby 888 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:47 pm

Thanks a lot, that's what I've got as well.

I got the column just far enough down to see it and what is happening is that the end of the rod that goes up in the switch housing falls down and out of the switch. Once that happens, the rod gets in a bind and doesn't work properly. I got lazy and cut a piece of vacuum line and put it around the rod where it's closest to the column and that seems to be holding it up in place so it works okay.

Now I need to figure out why the snap ring groove that is supposed to be in front of the bearing housing is 1/4" behind it. It's been a month since I took all this apart but it's pretty much error proofed and can only go one way. The manuals and web say the snap ring is in front of the bearing housing but the snap ring groove is in front of the star wheel plate BEHIND the bearing housing if I don't put the spring on. I've had this off and on 3 or 4 times and this is the way it all fits together.
93 Dodge D-350 Cummins Xcab DRW - completely stock
89 Dodge D-250 Cummins SRW 5 speed father and son project
84 Dodge D-100 5 speed slant 6
92 Dodge D-350 Cummins DRW 5 speed
others....
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Chassis