D250 manual tranny upper steering column re-assembly mystery

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

D250 manual tranny upper steering column re-assembly mystery

Postby 888 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:07 am

From the things that make you go hmmmm department. I noted in my other post that the ignition switch actuator linkage was giving me some problems. The real problem is what I ran into when putting the column back together in front of the ignition cylinder assembly.

Going from inside out on a non tilt column, there is the keyed ignition cylinder assembly, a lock plate/actuator assembly, star wheel that engages the lock, a spring, a bearing retainer, the turn signal contact assembly, and the steering wheel.
There is supposed to be a snap ring in front of the bearing retainer to hold all that in place, fits in a groove on the steering column shaft. I remember taking the snap ring out but since it was a month ago, I don't recall sequence.
Every bit of documentation I can find tells me the snap ring does in fact go in front of the bearing retainer. Problem is that the snap ring groove is 1/4" behind the bearing retainer when I have it all back together. It fits in front of the star wheel, not the bearing retainer.
This isn't rocket science, it's all error proofed and only fits one way, but I'll be danged if I can figure out why that snap ring isn't fitting where it's supposed to. the wheel splines align with the front of the column surrounds, everything in the assembly is snug and lines up, the bearing is set in the retainer groove, it's just that the snap ring is behind the bearing retainer. If I ever figure it out, I'll let you know.
If you've had one apart and done the same thing, let me know how you fixed it, okay? Since my son will eventually be driving it, I don't want to put it on the road till I figure this out.

Thanks
93 Dodge D-350 Cummins Xcab DRW - completely stock
89 Dodge D-250 Cummins SRW 5 speed father and son project
84 Dodge D-100 5 speed slant 6
92 Dodge D-350 Cummins DRW 5 speed
others....
fuel screw!!!!

Re: D250 manual tranny upper steering column re-assembly mystery

Postby 888 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:40 am

I had to wrap the threaded end of the steering column shaft in duct tape and use vice grips to pull like crazy on it to overcome spring pressure somewhere in the column assembly to get that snap ring on. Back together now, discovered the steering wheel I got from the yard doesn't fit this truck. The splines are the same but it is different on the back side of the wheel.
93 Dodge D-350 Cummins Xcab DRW - completely stock
89 Dodge D-250 Cummins SRW 5 speed father and son project
84 Dodge D-100 5 speed slant 6
92 Dodge D-350 Cummins DRW 5 speed
others....
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Chassis