Front axle and track bar question

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Front axle and track bar question

Postby jethro » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:34 am

I have been working on my Ford F-350- taking out the 10 inch or so lifted leaf springs and putting it back down to just a little over stock (by maybe 1+1/2 inches)
I have read about guys who make spring changes and dont re-set the track bar length to match the new setup and end
up with one wheel sticking out from under the fender well more than the other. (due to the track bar not being correct length)

Here is what I don't understand about that scenario- I have leaf springs (dana 60) - I don't see how the front end could be
displaced left or right more than about 1/4 inch because it looks like any more than that would bend the spring leaves or break
something...... Do these large sideways displacements happen only in coil spring front ends where the springs can move laterally easier ??????

Reason I ask is that it looks like to me that once I get the new springs on and the U-bolts snugged up
some - the axle's lateral position looks like it cant have a lot of choice where it can be- (with the axle hanging from the springs
and the truck's weight NOT on the springs and axle) All those parts interlock with the pins and holes as they go together-
(found a Std. track bar bracket and std. pittman arm- don't know yet if 1+1/2 of lift from the spring hangers will mess those up until it get it back down and see where everything comes to equilibrium .........

Anyway --- just wondering how people get big off-center situations......

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Front axle and track bar question

Postby Remps » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:46 pm

I watched that movie "Tremors aftershock" last night. (That movie with the giant underground worms) When the old jeep truck starts getting dragged down and sideways from the rear, there is definitely some rear end displacement/ bending going on. :lol: Have you done a search on 2" lifts and what factory front end parts are retained for early super dutys?
'90 D250 R/C,727,IC,6x.009's,1/8" bump,fuel psi,straight pipe w/5" stack.
'90 W250 R/C,47rh,K@N,HX35,1/8" bump,2nd gen IC,boost,egt,trans temp.3.07's.
'96 2500 S/C L/B,2wd,NV5600,3.54 L/S,cai,egt,pacbrake,mbrp exhaust,10 plate.
Bring back the Bank of Canada, PRE- 1974.
Remps
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:33 pm

A stock track bar shouldn't be bothered by an inch or 2 of lift, it's when you get over 3 or 4 it starts to make a difference. (on dodges anyways, thinking fords shouldn't be much different) Since the truck has 10" or so lift, I would drop or remove the trackbar, put the truck down where you want it, then measure the axle to frame to make sure it's centered. Then I would bolt the track bar to 1 side, and see if it lines up, then go from there.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:08 pm

PT-
That's about what my plan was- gently lower it down on the springs--- measure to verify equal on both sides- try bar.
It looks like I have a chance that it could still have the std. track bar- as it appears that the upper track bar bracket is WAY
longer where the eye is for the bar- so Im hoping THAT is were the extra distance was made when it was lifted......

I will surely avoid the giant carnivorous earth worms for sure- they might eat my truck :joker:

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Chassis