rear axle bolts ?

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

rear axle bolts ?

Postby jethro » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:10 pm

Hi all...
Overhauled my axle a little while ago (ford-sterling 10.5) Everything went together OK as far as I know. Only question I had was one of the last steps. I didn't tighten up the end-bolts that hold the axle caps into the hubs because I couldn't
do the BIG torque on the stand- wanted to wait till it was under the truck and on the ground again. I considered looking
for drilled-head bolts so I could sue safety wire on them. Most people -it appeared- just used Loctite on them before torqueing.
I was noticing that the fit of the bolt threads into the hub threads seemed a little looser than I would have expected for a bolt
having a pretty big torque on it. Would have expected a closer fit......

(changed these once on a 42 ford jeep- they were stretched -big time- you could see them get skinny with your necked eye..! )

These bolts have a nose section -about 3/8 long- that has no threads- just smooth shank- do these NEED to be there for
some functional purpose ? Can I just replace them with grade 8 normal bolts ? OR- are they "special-stealership" bolts.....
(may be metric- havnt measured yet)

If I use Loctite is blue OK in case I need to get in there one day ? This is not a part I want to heat to get Loctite loose one day....

Got to deal with them little puppies soon as I will be driving it soon. (on the road)

Opinions welcome !
Tim

PS-- my non-ford repair manual kind of implies that you should use silicone sealant on the threads.....
I have Loctite in red, blue and also #277 that I used inside the pumpkin.....
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Re: rear axle bolts ?

Postby thrashingcows » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:26 am

On my D70 I just clean and re-use the original bolts, then Torque them to 50-60ft/lbs? I don't use any loctite, or sealant. But if I were, blue would be my choice.
1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 330K Km's, M&H spacer, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.

Check out the build....http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ ... 05923.html
thrashingcows
14mm rotor

Re: rear axle bolts ?

Postby jethro » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:21 pm

Found this place on-line that sells small quantities of drilled head bolts------ (grade 8 )

http://www.drilledheadbolts.com/D-7-16-14_c32.htm

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Chassis