Drop it like it's hot... or maybe not

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Drop it like it's hot... or maybe not

Postby Rob_O » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:56 pm

My truck has the typical self-lowering front end, and while it would be easy enough to replace the spring spacers while I have the front end apart for a rebuild I decided I'd rather lower the rear than raise the front so...

Seemed easy enough, go to the parts store and buy the 13-4100 shackles fight some rusty bolts and yeah... no. Seems they have changed the design of the bushing and you can no longer just press out the metal liner and stick the factory bolt into the bushing - You will press the urethane bushing out of the shackle before that inner sleeve comes loose believe me I tried

I'm not quite ready to start drilling rivets out of the frame so I guess I'm going to have to cut and extend a set of factory shackles. If it was easy everyone would do it, right?
Rob_O
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Drop it like it's hot... or maybe not

Postby Rob_O » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:31 pm

Went through the front end today... Some random thoughts

1) Liquid Wrench is your best friend, spray everything down multiple times at least a week before you get out the tools

2) My ball joints were not as bad as I thought, The steering stuff was shot!

3) You have to take the rotor and backing plate off to remove the spindle, it's not hard just a damn waste of time

4) Even though you sprayed everything with penetrating oil, the threads may come out of the control arm anyway. Have a welder handy!

And all that's left to do is everything else...
Rob_O
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Chassis