Rotor hitting caliper bracket?

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Rotor hitting caliper bracket?

Postby skylar827_7 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:31 pm

I had my front end apart to put in 9/16 studs because I got wider wheels. Anyway, before I started to take the hub assembly off I wiggled it and I had a little bit more up and down movement than I would like to see. Noted. So, I ended up getting it all off and the studs pounded in. I went ahead and inspected the wb's and races for wear and I didn't find anything, put new seals in it. I go to put the hub and rotor assembly back on the spindle and I pop the outer wb in and then the first locking nut with the tit. I snug it up just finger tight and the rotor is rubbing the caliper bracket.

I can also see that on my right side the rotor has been rubbing it for a little while but nothing serious. I thought might be a rotor runout issue and I don't have a dial indicator and that setup so I had a spare brand new rotor and I threw that on and I got the same exact issue. Then I thought maybe the bearings are just worn that much. (they looked fine and are the timken brand) So, I went and got new sets of bearings and races for the outer wb. I'm getting the same issue with the new wb's.

So then I thought about it again and I thought maybe that I installed the seal wrong? I pushed the seal all the way home past flush with the bore diameter and the last time I installed the seal (2 years or so ago) I just put them flush with the top of the hub. I'm not sure wich way is right but either way you do it there is a little more than 1/4" of difference whichever way you go. But then a friend said the seal shouldn't determine the clearance of the rotor to the caliper bracket. And that makes sense.

I'm just running out of options I guess. I don't beat on this truck at all I take very good care of it so I don't think the bracket is bent or my spindle is bent. I'm trying to get this thing back on the road as my daily driver because my current daily is a subaru w/ almost 200k on the clock that has misfires on every cylinder and barely has enough power to make it down the road. This truck has been apart for months when I had my overdrive housing crack and my rooster comb messed up. I don't even know who I am anymore now that I cant drive my truck.

Let me know if yall have ever came across this issue and any input is greatly appreciated! I must be missing something. I don't remember if I did my sig but my truck is a 93 SC
93 W250 with things
skylar827_7
fuel pin?

Re: Rotor hitting caliper bracket?

Postby Philip » Fri May 26, 2017 4:26 pm

Finger tight is to loose. Tighten bearings to 50 ft pounds or so. The back off the nut 1/8 turn at the most.

When you spin the rotor at torque. You will notice a slight drag to rotation. Back off till drag is almost gone. The bearings need preload. Finger tight is not.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby skylar827_7 » Fri May 26, 2017 5:23 pm

I know finger tight is too loose. I have the factory 2 book service manual, and have done this before. (I'm an air force vehicle mechanic) What I was trying to communicate by saying finger tight is that even with it finger tight it still hits the caliper bracket. If I do a 50 ft lb torque on it it, makes it even tighter so that it's impossible to spin the hub at all because of the contact with the rotor and caliper bracket.
93 W250 with things
skylar827_7
fuel pin?

Postby skylar827_7 » Fri May 26, 2017 5:25 pm

Also, I should also say that I always tighten any nut for a wb while spinning the hub to ensure even preload.
93 W250 with things
skylar827_7
fuel pin?

Postby Thulean » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:29 pm

Your caliper or the support key holding it in place are probably worn, I have read somewhere you can buy larger support keys to correct the problem but I cant find any.
I had the same issue and welded and grinded the old support key to build it up some.
Thulean
smoke screw?

Return to Chassis