"90 D350 DRW Aluminum wheels

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

"90 D350 DRW Aluminum wheels

Postby Dualtire90 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:15 am

Hi guys, I'm looking in to what it would take to put larger 17" or 18" aftermarket aluminum wheels on my '90 D350 DRW. I want to go to a larger rim so that I have clearance for a rear disc brake conversion further down the road and I am thinking of something along the lines of an Alcoa style wheel, nothing ridiculous. to keep down cost I would likely go with steel inner rims on the rear. Here is what I've learned from poking around other threads:

- The stock steel wheels have "coined" stud holes and would need to be swapped out for flat faced wheels.
- Running steel inners on the rear should keep me from having to run longer studs.
- While the rear axle is hub-piloted the front is stud-piloted so I will need to run the conical lug nuts to get them centered properly.

I have not yet had a chance to pull the stock wheels off to measure the center bore and back spacing so if anyone has those numbers handy I would appreciate the knowledge otherwise I'll check them the next time I have them off. Basically, I would like to know if I'm missing anything critical as well as anyone's personal experience with aluminum wheels on these trucks. Thanks
Dualtire90
fuel pin?

Re: "90 D350 DRW Aluminum wheels

Postby Philip » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:23 am

You will not find studs long enough to run two alumin rims on the rear. Inner steels will be needed for that reason.

If your wanting rear disks just swap to a Dana 80 with them on it. Then use the use the later rims on the 80.

Now one issue with alumin rims. With your stock steels a tire rotation is easy just swap to the position needed. With alumin you have to dismount and remount tires due to rims not being polished on the inside. That remounting and rebalance can run about $75 for each rotation.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby Dualtire90 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:44 pm

I've toyed with doing the 80 swap but I haven't looked in to it much. Do the dana 80's run the same 5/8 studs as the 70? I have thought about the rotation issue and I have yet to decide if looks are worth the cost.
Dualtire90
fuel pin?

Postby Philip » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:39 am

The 80's run 9/16's studs. That makes wheel selection easyer. Then change your fronts out to 9/16's and your set. Most alumin rims are stud piloted. They use a nut with a stand off on the inside so centering of eather type of rim isn't an issue.

On rotation I stopped doing that years ago. At $75 a pop. It didn't take many times to equal the price of new front tires. That is the ones that wear the fastest. The last set of rears I replaced had 120k on them. I now replace the fronts at 50K when the second set is worn then do all 6 again.

If the rims your looking at are clear coated. They will yellow out then start cracking after a few years. If your looking at power coating. I would recommend not going there. When that starts cracking and corrideing there is noting you can do except blast them off and recoat. If your thinking about long run time frame with little or no maintenance. The good old Dodge rally wheel silver paint is easy to deal with. Just touch up paint as need when doing rotations.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Return to Chassis