HVAC question

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

HVAC question

Postby Ghostman » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:46 pm

So I've been rebuilding a early 91 single cab cummins and am now working on the interior and HVAC. The HVAC has to be totally replaced. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that a person installed a 2nd gen compressor and hoses onto the first gen and it works a little better? Or is it a waste of effort? Is the 1st gen parts adequate to do the job? Everything but the HVAC box basically has to be replaced so going either way isn't a issue. Any thoughts or recommendations? I haven't worked on 1st gens much but I have worked on 2nd/3rd gens a lot.
Ghostman
fuel screw!!!!

Re: HVAC question

Postby thrashingcows » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:22 am

The difference is on the compressors and A/C lines. The Non-IC motors ran the C-171 compressor where as the IC motors had the Sanden unit. If you do swap on the sanden unit you need the whole mount assembly, which is the lower rad hose fitting and part of the alternator bracket as well. Then the A/C lines are different with different fittings at the compressor, as well as the way the A/C system is controlled and the compressor energized changed as well.

If I was doing the sanden swap onto the non-IC motor I would have an A/C shop put the Sanden A/C fittings onto the Non-IC hoses and leave the rest of the Non-IC system alone other then the compressor.
1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 330K Km's, M&H spacer, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.

Check out the build....http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ ... 05923.html
thrashingcows
14mm rotor

Postby Ghostman » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:05 pm

thrashingcows wrote:The difference is on the compressors and A/C lines. The Non-IC motors ran the C-171 compressor where as the IC motors had the Sanden unit. If you do swap on the sanden unit you need the whole mount assembly, which is the lower rad hose fitting and part of the alternator bracket as well. Then the A/C lines are different with different fittings at the compressor, as well as the way the A/C system is controlled and the compressor energized changed as well.

If I was doing the sanden swap onto the non-IC motor I would have an A/C shop put the Sanden A/C fittings onto the Non-IC hoses and leave the rest of the Non-IC system alone other then the compressor.

I guess what I'm asking is your opinion or reason for doing it one way or the other. I have a whole 2nd gen mount assembly to swap to the sanden unit if I want. If the non IC A/C configuration is good enough and parts are available I'll just re-install all OE configured parts. But if it would be better off swapping the 2nd gen mount assembly onto the block and using the newer style compressor I'll do that too.
Ghostman
fuel screw!!!!

Postby thrashingcows » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:58 pm

I think the Sanden A/C compressor is a bit more efficient then the old C-171, as well I don't know if there is much support for the C-171 in the aftermarket, or reman units etc? Actually just typing that made me remember why I switched to the sanden.....there was no availability for the diesel C-171 in the aftermarket/reman units. ;)
1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 330K Km's, M&H spacer, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.

Check out the build....http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ ... 05923.html
thrashingcows
14mm rotor

Return to Chassis