Frame choices…

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Frame choices…

Postby 90chum » Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:03 pm

So I have a 1990 w250 RCLB. Currently has a non intercooled cummins, built 47rh, rebuilt np205, stock axles with 3.08’s. She’s turned up and dynoed 332hp and 807tq. Also have intercooled front end and planning to p7100 swap it during body change. She’s getting pretty crispy, so I’ve been snatching up body arts when I see deals. Now have 2 parts carcasses and such. Recently was looking under it and realized how bad the frame is now. It measures 6” from front back except over the rear axle where it goes down to 5”. Unsure of thickness due to rust scale.

First parts truck is a 92 w150 RCLB. Mainly bought for the bed. Brother gutted cab to use it, but floor wasn’t much better than what he had, so it’s kinda half sitting in place. He did take the frame side cab mounts. Frame is generally good looking and could be wire wheeled n painted and be fine, maybe minor repairs might be needed on frame or cross members. Measures 6” front to back except over axle where it goes down to 5”. Measures maybe a smidge under 3/16 thick.

Parts truck 2 is a 87 d350 c&c with about 7’ cab to axle, regular cab. Mainly bought for the cab that only has a couple dings and some mild surface rust. Rockers, floors, corners, drip rail, mounts, everything is solid. Frame measures a lil over 7” front to rear axle where it also necks down to 5”, then 6” from axle back. Measures just a smidge over 3/16. Frame has minor surface rust in a couple spots and crossmembers look same, wouldn’t suspect to need any repairs. Just scuff and paint.

So now to my dilemma. The w250 frame isn’t worth the body I have to put on, but the axles and drivetrain are good. So could I spruce up the w150 frame and put the cab n bed on and when it’s done swap the axles, engine, drivetrain over? Will the w150 frame live with that much power plus? Or should I make the d350 frame 4wd and shorten it to fit a regular 8’ bed? I don’t question the 350 frame, it’s just a bunch more work to make everything fit. Either way, I need to graft the big hump from the 150 into the 350 cab, and get everything swapped around. Truck is in the process of getting classic tags so won’t be towing or hauling much, just a street demon to pick on yee yees and bro dozers. Thanks for any input.
1990 w250 RCLB auto-some stuff to make a constant haze, diamond eye 4" straight, 47rh with goerend triple disk and suncoast innerds, body panels and more panels. shes occassionally referred to as a dirty slut, but usually just chum
90chum
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Frame choices…

Postby Richie O » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:53 am

I would suspect the 1 ton frame is stronger, but a nice condition 1/2 ton frame is better then a rusted 3/4 ton frame. I would bet there are a few 4x4's on gasser frames. I know there are a few 70's 1/2 and 3/4 ton cummins swaps around and I suspect they used the gasser frame. No first hand knowledge, just thinking out loud.
1989 W250 727, 3.07 L/S, S300, P/S Intercooler, Stans exaust, Pump adjustments, 127k miles,297 hp
1993 W250 extended cab, rag, 4.10 l/s, 6x16's, HTT 62/71/14 piston l/p, Isspro EV series tach, fuel pressure, boost, oil pres, water temp, volt, pryo, 132k/ 301 hp
1992 W250 with NV4500, 3.54's, 16cm 60mm GDS H1C, ground stock cone, Isspro tach, pryo, boost, fuel pressure, slow, rusty, dented,180k
Richie O
Administrator

Return to Chassis