92' d350 axle 3.54 vs 4.10 Also Dana 70 vs 80

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

92' d350 axle 3.54 vs 4.10 Also Dana 70 vs 80

Postby farmer777 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:42 pm

Hi, The differential on my truck just went out. One of the smaller gears shattered. I am planning on swapping out the whole axle with a used one.

Wondering if I should get the same ratio or if I should upgrade.

I currently have the Dana 70 with 3.54 ratio. I don't think it has limited slip, I have gotten it stick to many times.

This is my daily driver most of the time it is empty. But when I use it for towing, I tow a 30' goose neck trailer fully loaded weight wise. I usually tow at least once or twice a week generally around a 180 miles round trip with rolling hills. I haven't noticed my EGT go above 900 going 65. On the steeper hills I sometimes down shift to 4th or drive the whole way in 4th when I am really loaded.

What would the difference be between the 3.54 and the 4.10?

I would like to get one with locking hubs or limited slip since I drive dirt and gravel roads often.

You guys are the experts. Which axle do you recommend?

Thanks,
Joel
92' D350, Getrag, stock timing, 235/85/16, Dual rear wheels, 255,000 miles.
farmer777
smoke screw?

Postby PToombs » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:07 pm

The way you are driving it, I wouldn't go with 4.11's. The engine will rev higher thru the whole band. It sounds like you tow responsibly, using 4th when heavy. If you go to 4.11's, you could probably tow in 5th, but empty you will be wasting fuel with the higher rpms and not loaded driving. I was going to recommend 3.73's, 'cause your EGT's are so low, but you might have a problem towing heavy at that ratio.
I would just replace with 3.54's, and not worry about it! ;)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby dpuckett » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:41 pm

If you dont have the gears to pull what you want to pull, add some more ponies under the hood. :lol:

I'd go for a D80 with a 3.54 if you can find one. (No, you cant have mine). Limited slip is nice, but may only get you far enough in to get really stuck. It has also gotten my mom through lots of wet grass and such. I think if you drive sensibly, either one will be a good choice. You will need to figure out the shock/ u-bolt mounts, and shorten the driveshaft about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inch.

DP
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby pulltilbroke » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:16 pm

If its possible take the brake lines and the bottom U bolt plates from the donor truck, makes it pretty easy to swap the 80 in
90 W250 reg cab, Modified knuder valve, reversed reciprocting dinglearm adjusted, High volume flux capacitor,upgraded whirlygig, A clutch and a hitch
93 W350 ext cab dually, getrag and a few adjustments
pulltilbroke
14mm rotor

Postby dpuckett » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:26 pm

You dont even need the brake lines. The line going from the frame/ ABS valve to the brake hose is a direct bolt in. Or were you referring to the lines on the axle itself, between the rubber hose and the wheel cylinders?

U-bolts, plates, and the like make it easier, for sure. I also got the shock mounts, so anything attached to the rear azle is for a 99.

DP
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby pulltilbroke » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:19 pm

Yea I meant take all the lines that are on the axle, thats what I did and I took all the plates, Made the swap really easy
90 W250 reg cab, Modified knuder valve, reversed reciprocting dinglearm adjusted, High volume flux capacitor,upgraded whirlygig, A clutch and a hitch
93 W350 ext cab dually, getrag and a few adjustments
pulltilbroke
14mm rotor

Postby 1stgenspivey » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:06 pm

axle your replacing............dually or single? housing in good shape? i have a 93 1 ton dually and i need a rear axle housing. Let me know. thanks
1stgenspivey
fuel screw!!!!

Re: 92' d350 axle 3.54 vs 4.10 Also Dana 70 vs 80

Postby flashgordon » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:47 pm

farmer777 wrote:Hi, The differential on my truck just went out. One of the smaller gears shattered. I am planning on swapping out the whole axle with a used one.
Wondering if I should get the same ratio or if I should upgrade.

I currently have the Dana 70 with 3.54 ratio. I don't think it has limited slip, I have gotten it stick to many times.

This is my daily driver most of the time it is empty. But when I use it for towing, I tow a 30' goose neck trailer fully loaded weight wise. I usually tow at least once or twice a week generally around a 180 miles round trip with rolling hills. I haven't noticed my EGT go above 900 going 65. On the steeper hills I sometimes down shift to 4th or drive the whole way in 4th when I am really loaded.

Why replace the axle? buy a new spider gears(spider/side gears W/ new shims)kit, and be done with it.................
I didn't brake a gear but the rear end had a lot of play that i traced down to the spiders.When i inguaged my GV overdrive unit it would bang ..............Replaced the the side and spiders...............much less noise when i ingage it now.

Yours could have broked due to to much play in them..................A Dana 80 would be stronger, but the spiders would get you back on the road, untill you found one.

You guys are the experts. Which axle do you recommend?

Thanks,
Joel

Why replace the axle? buy a new spider gears(spider/side gears W/ new shims)kit, and be done with it.................
I didn't brake a gear but the rear end had a lot of play that i traced down to the spiders.When i inguaged my GV overdrive unit it would bang ..............Replaced the the side and spiders...............much less noise when i ingage it now.

Yours could have broked due to to much play in them..................A Dana 80 would be stronger, but the spiders would get you back on the road, untill you find one.
91.0 non intercooled 3/4 ton 5sd ex.straight piped 16cm housing, timing bumped 1/16...Pump . Full power screw1/2 max with out removing the collar. Gear Vender over drive!
"NOW" with 2nt gen intercooler, turbo and 3"Coolertubz, Buy Tim (TWorline)"
flashgordon
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 1stgenspivey » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:01 pm

if you do swap your 70 for an 80 let me now. i would like to snatch that 70 up
1stgenspivey
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Chassis