Air Conditioner Clutches: Seized?

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Air Conditioner Clutches: Seized?

Postby Begle1 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:04 am

On the quest for an electric clutch to throw on my new snow plow pump, I dug my old air conditioner out of the shed...

Now, I assume that it's seized. It doesn't rotate at all, I can put a strap wrench on it and still can't budge it.

Is is supposed to freewheel without voltage applied to it, right?

So that would mean that the clutch is defective?

Is it possible to fix the clutch somehow?

And, does anybody know the trick to getting the clutch off? I figure I'd at least like to look at the pulley...
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:38 pm

Alright, I used a gear puller to pull off the cover, and then I mangled out the snap ring, and then I used the gear puller again to pull off the pulley.

AND...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that I'm not gonna end up using this one on my hydro pump?

In other news, I figured out why my air conditioning never worked. Now if only somebody hadn't cut out all the lines and converted the air conditioner condenser to a transmission cooler...
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:43 pm

Yes,
Yes,
Not now,
And the proper puller works real good. ;)

And the 2nd post question,
Correctimundo!! :lol:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Return to Chassis