Need help cleaning out my rear

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Need help cleaning out my rear

Postby dpuckett » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:45 pm

.... axle, that is.:mrgreen: I have found that the shop who put bearings in the differential on my 93 W250 (P.O. paid for it, not me) did a p-poor job of cleaning out the housing before installing the new bearings. The pinion bearings and passenger wheel bearings are in good shape. I'm undecided on the carrier and left wheel bearings (guy who owns the shop says they are ok, but should I really trust him?)- they have evidence of chunks of metal, etc, getting in the rollers and scoring them pretty good. Still roll ok, though. Add to the bearing issue a limited slip clutch failure, and I had my work cut out for me.

Getting back on topic. I have the center housing almost clean enough to eat out of- not a sliver or fleck of metal in the center, plus 99% of the crud and gunk removed to boot. But, there is stuff in the tubes, which leaves me wondering- what is the best way to make 110% absolutely SURE I get every last scrap of metal out of the tubes, short of removing the axle and having it hot tanked (and is that even a guarantee?). I took a few swipes with a piece of an old towel soaked in kerosene, but I havent figured out a way to get the towel to go only one direction, and not bring the slivers back over the clean area.

Anyone have any better ideas?

Daniel
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby bgilbert » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:23 pm

I just ran into this on my D70.

I happen to have a broomstick that has an end with an opening to where it looks like one could hand it on a nail or something. Perfect to use it the same way you would clean your shotgun barrel. Get a box or roll of those blue shop rags, I ran one through the opening on the broom end, wet them with ether or fuel in your case, then work it into the axle tube both sides. Since you already have the carrier removed, you don't have to worry about pushing any gunk/rust/flakes into the center section, you can simply hammer that with Pyroil brand ether, (much cheaper than brake cleaner and has some *ss behind it) once you're done. Dry with compressed air. Keep repeating/replacing the rag with a clean one until it comes out clean or cleaner or whenever you feel it's good enough. Then hammer the ether into the tubes from both driver and passenger sides.

Go get yourself a case of Pyroil brand starting fluid, rags, broom and some bearings and races! Don't be cheap and replace bearings only!
Bill Gilbert
85 D350 crew with 90 6BT intercooled Getrag 3.07's
93 D350 single cab Getrag 3.54's.
bgilbert
14mm rotor

Postby dpuckett » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:42 pm

Hey, hadnt thought of the broom handle angle. I have been using some old bath towel pieces soaked in a blend of diesel & gas at about a 4:1 ratio. I then remembered the leftover lacquer thinner from my head gasket job. It cleaned and dried the gunk/ chunks just fine.

I had planned on replacing the races with the bearings. I learned that the hard way a long time ago.

DP
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby Philip » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:49 am

I have a 2" bore brush if you want to borrow it Daniel.

I use it when I take a front axle apart to clean the axle tubes out.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:41 pm

Bill telling someody not to be cheap? :shock:
Wow! ;) :lol:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby oldcool90 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:24 pm

PToombs wrote:Bill telling someody not to be cheap? :shock:
Wow! ;) :lol:
It scares me too and im not scared of any thing :shock: :shock: :?
1992 reg cab W-350 5sp 12cm ex housing,pod's,3200rpm gov,and piston lift pump
oldcool90
fuel screw!!!!

Postby mprmn08 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:26 pm

you could just flush it with water real good then when your done just squirt some WD or equvalent in there and call it good. i did on a few dana 60's and nothing rusts if you layer some WD in it after words.
93 w250 reg cab. rigged up stock downpipe to 4 inch to 5 inch exhaust from p.o. mild pump tweaks and all other stock for now. Project "smoke a little smoke". www.c-techperformance.com
mprmn08
14mm rotor

Return to Chassis