Powertrax locker, will it hold up?

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Powertrax locker, will it hold up?

Postby PToombs » Thu May 22, 2008 6:00 pm

I helped my buddy put 1 in a Jeep, obviously I have a little more power.....
I found one for a D70, what do you guys think of these? Will it hold up? Or will it chow my axles or R&P?
TIA
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

I Like 'em.

Postby Ace » Fri May 23, 2008 5:52 am

I been abusing the cr@p out of the one in my 340 Duster for over a year, no probs. It's in an 8.75 Mopar rear behind a 300hp v8 w/4sp and it's scary. Not real steetable, though. I wouldn't recommend running one in a primarily steet-driven vehicle, esp. a light-in-the-rear pickup, unless you're sure you're up to the task and noboy else ever drives it.
Ace
14mm rotor

Postby MMiller » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:00 pm

I've been running a lockright(same thing) in the front of my pulling truck for several years. Many times I've had an extra 1000# on the front bumper while pulling with no problems. Most lockers will hold just fine, but if you loose an axle shaft under power, the locker will usually explode. Now, this being said, unless you are going to truck pull, you won't be breaking any axle shafts. I've even driven the truck alot with the drive flanges on, and never once noticed the lockrite or the detroit in the rear running around town. Its always nice to know that no matter what, both tires on said axle will spin when power is applied no matter what.

Make sure your 70 is tight, and it has not beat out the shims on the ring gear side. This is usually the demise of a high mileage dana 70 in a cummins truck.

Michael
1993 W250, 3.55, NV5600 , Con O, bosch 185's, 4" exhaust, Super 40, pump tweaks, ground pin, Smokehouse air intake, Hamilton Cam,
1985 D350, Crew Cab, 92 cummins and a 518. 47rh to be built and installed along with 3.55 LS Dana 80
MMiller
fuel screw!!!!

Postby mprmn08 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:23 pm

Just like MMiller said if its a locker it'll hold. a locker is the strongest thing you can get until you go to a full spool.
93 w250 reg cab. rigged up stock downpipe to 4 inch to 5 inch exhaust from p.o. mild pump tweaks and all other stock for now. Project "smoke a little smoke". www.c-techperformance.com
mprmn08
14mm rotor

Postby GO OVRIT » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:48 pm

If you have the choice between the Lockright, Powertrax, Detroit EZ Locker, Aussi or any other "lunchbox" locker, go with the Lockright. I've either run or installed all of them. Its the only one I'll buy again. Make sure you get a hardened pin to go with it.
92 W250 ext cab 518, big sticks, a-1000, PDR HX40, 4" exhaust w/aeroturbine, pump tweaked, K&N filter Tims Cooler tubes and 3" i/c, gauges
GO OVRIT
14mm rotor

There's Two Different Powertrax

Postby Ace » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:19 pm

Richmond has two different units under the Powertrax line. There's the "No-Slip" which is suposedly the more street friendly, and the "Lock-Right" true locker. I'd imagine anyone putting one in a 4wd truck would probably choose the Lock-right, but hard to say. People (myself included) do dumb stuff all the time. I run the Lock-rights in my Chrysler 8.75s and they work very well. But like I said, not for everyday street driving. Noisy in the parking lot and scary when they wind up at speed.
Ace
14mm rotor

Return to Chassis