Sloppy steering box

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Sloppy steering box

Postby 2muchtq » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:47 pm

I have been gradually replacing steering components and now have EVERYTHING tight except the steering box.

I just rebuilt the slip coupler right next to the steering box and I still have slop. There is no slop from the input shaft of the box to the steering wheel. Is there a way to tighten the box itself up?

BTW I have an unbroken mounting plate and all the bolts are tighter than a frogs arse. This slop is in the box itself.

Thanks all.
Mark
2muchtq
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Ace » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:18 pm

There's an adjustment screw with locknut on the top front side. Takes an allen key, IIRC. But don't go too tight or it will overwork/overheat the pump and boil the fluid. Try a half turn at a time to see if it gets better. Maybe just worn out, need a new steering box.
Ace
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:47 am

When you turn the steering wheel, does the shaft go in and out of the box? If so, loosen the big locknut on the input piece, (what ever it's called) and tighten it a little. You may have to use a hammer and punch. I put a punch in each hole in the face, and turned it with a bar. I had to use the hammer a little. Check and make sure it doesn't bind. I drove mine yesterday for the first time this year, and it's a little stiff, I have to back it off some.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Return to Chassis