Drivers side leak and the foor vent ?????

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Drivers side leak and the foor vent ?????

Postby roxxx » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:42 pm

I was driving today and looked down at the floor and realized the truck on drivers side has a manual sliding floor vent . was wondering were the intake is for this because I figure that's were I am getting water from
1992 4x4 Reg cab LE 5 speed
4 Inch lift
Bilsteins shocks 5125
VE moderately molested
Dana 80
ultra wheel rims Type 164
ASA pipe BHAF 19037
Outerwears prefilter
A A nv4500
South bend Flywheel and clutch 13125-OK

Stock 1993 4x4 Reg cab LE 5 speed
roxxx
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:56 pm

It might be, but I bet not. The vent gets it's air from the cowl in front of the windshield. Air goes down the side, then in.
I bet your windshield is leaking. I thought mine was the vent too. I sealed it with silicone, and it seemed good for a week or so. Then it was wet again. I tracked it down when I pulled the windshield for the cab swap. The water comes in around the gasket, then migrates down to a spot about 3 inches in from the corner of the window. From there it runs down the corner of the firewall, and looks like it's coming in the vent.
Did I mention I did a cab swap because this leak over x years rusted my floors and cab mounts out? :evil:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby roxxx » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:36 pm

dang it you are just full of wonder full news oh well back to the drawin board
1992 4x4 Reg cab LE 5 speed
4 Inch lift
Bilsteins shocks 5125
VE moderately molested
Dana 80
ultra wheel rims Type 164
ASA pipe BHAF 19037
Outerwears prefilter
A A nv4500
South bend Flywheel and clutch 13125-OK

Stock 1993 4x4 Reg cab LE 5 speed
roxxx
fuel screw!!!!

Postby SNOOT » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:00 pm

If it makes you feel any better mine leaks around the window also! grrrrrr
1993 W350
SNOOT
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:04 pm

Only fix, pull the window, have it sealed between the gasket and cab. I wanted mine sealed when the new window was put in, and they didn't do it. I've been back twice now to get it fixed, the 2nd time they sealed the glass. Something else I learned from this adventure, get it sealed between the glass and the gasket also. Guy told me that you can take the glass out of one of these when it was brand new, put it back, and it will leak. Gotta seal the glass. I had water coming in there too.
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Firstgenfanatic » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:08 am

I have this dreaded water leak in the same place too!! The windshield has never been replaced to my knowledge. I always get water on the driverside floor by the kickpanel whether driving in rain or washing the truck during the spring/summer months. I would really like to get it fixed soon............especially since I live in Soggyville, USA (western washington). :lol:
*1993 Dodge Ram W250 club cab*, mild performance built A518, Hughes Converter, turned-up VE w/timing bump, tow package, 16x7 Alcoa wheels, M&H "M5" fuel pin, 366 gov spring, 4" exhaust, 16cm turbine housing, cold air intake, Isspro pyro/trans/tach/boost, KDP secured
Firstgenfanatic
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:25 pm

I bet it's coming in between the gasket and the cab. That's the biggest spot that's hard to find.
I had mine resealed again 2 weeks ago. They finally pulled the window and sealed it the way I wanted.
The next weekend I ran water on it, and had a trail inside on the drivers side. I was hot! :evil: I got looking around in there, and discovered it wasn't wet above the steering column. WTH? :shock: So I wiped it down, and sprayed it again. Sure enough, water was coming in around the gasket for the column. The window is ok. So I gotta seal that up, but it's minor.
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Rug_Trucker » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:05 am

I have a wet spot there too. The bottom bushing on myt door is badly worn and the door drags when I open it. It might be leaking from the door. Top above the door vent.

A windshield installer told me most silicones have water in them and will cause rust.

Use the real windshield sealer!!
72 slant Duster M-1 2bbl Hookers
79 Maxivan Offy Comp RV cam0
74 Dart 225 4 DR
93 D350 CTD auto
various KW's and Freighliners with 10spd auto shifts
Rug_Trucker
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Chassis