Traction Control

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Traction Control

Postby mhuppertz » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:32 am

I need some options for traction control on my truck. The Detroit Locker is making my springs wind up on hard launches, so I need a solution that doesn't suck for general use!
Any ideas?
mhuppertz

Postby mprmn08 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:51 am

make some traction bars for it then. or buy some either way.
93 w250 reg cab. rigged up stock downpipe to 4 inch to 5 inch exhaust from p.o. mild pump tweaks and all other stock for now. Project "smoke a little smoke". www.c-techperformance.com
mprmn08
14mm rotor

Postby mhuppertz » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:45 pm

mprmn08 wrote:make some traction bars for it then. or buy some either way.

Where should the snubber contact the spring pack? Should it go all the way to the curl, or just two thirds the way?
mhuppertz

Postby mprmn08 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:53 pm

i would make a ridgid one that bolts to the u bolts and runs up to right under the cab mounted to another bracket on the frame with heim joints on each end so you can lengthen or shorten it to adjust it.
93 w250 reg cab. rigged up stock downpipe to 4 inch to 5 inch exhaust from p.o. mild pump tweaks and all other stock for now. Project "smoke a little smoke". www.c-techperformance.com
mprmn08
14mm rotor

Postby mhuppertz » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:18 pm

So the Heim joints allow the axle to travel up and down?
mhuppertz

Postby mprmn08 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:17 pm

no you can just lengthen or shorten the bar according to what you want. if its tight you wont get as much axle rap which causes the wheel hop so you just adjust it until the wheel hop is out.
mprmn08
14mm rotor

Postby Raymo » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:43 am

The set-up he's talking about would stop the housing from pushing forward, which wraps up your springs. As far as tightening it though... that would mean there was slack in it, which their wouldn't be if the hiems were bolted to the axle and frame. However with the adjustability, if the truck say pulled to the right on a hard launch, you would tune the bars by lengthening the passenger side bar. That would put more force on the passenger side tire to steer the truck back to the left a bit to straighten you out on the launch. Like he said though, run them from the axle to the back of the cab, but I would weld a bracket to the lower part of the housing for rigidity.
'94 Chevy 3500-HD cab and chassis- IC Cummins, Getrag, NP205. 60 front, 80 rear- 4.10's.
Raymo
fuel screw!!!!

Postby shortburb » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:15 pm

i built this one for my offroad rig , and i plan to build something similar for my cummins .

I used heims front and rear ( 5/8" bolt - 3/4" thread ) and made a shackle on the top end to allow it to still pivot and flex .
It eliminated any axlewrap and plants the wheels for good launches
I would recommend welding the axle tubes to the diff when doing this to eliminate the possibility of spinning the tubes.

93 ext. cab cummins 4x4 - NV4500- pump mods - 4 " lift - 35s - 05 Seats
shortburb
smoke screw?

Postby cummins king » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:20 pm

shortburb wrote:i built this one for my offroad rig , and i plan to build something similar for my cummins .

I used heims front and rear ( 5/8" bolt - 3/4" thread ) and made a shackle on the top end to allow it to still pivot and flex .
It eliminated any axlewrap and plants the wheels for good launches
I would recommend welding the axle tubes to the diff when doing this to eliminate the possibility of spinning the tubes.

Are you only running it on one side?
93 4X4 auto
cummins king
14mm rotor

Postby shortburb » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:31 pm

that is correct , i only have it on the pass. side of the vehicle.
i am thinking on the cummins that i may build it for both sides , since there will be alot more torque involved.
But either way with the tubes welded i dont see it being a problem, unless the axle would try to "walk" on the other side
93 ext. cab cummins 4x4 - NV4500- pump mods - 4 " lift - 35s - 05 Seats
shortburb
smoke screw?

Return to Chassis