Dually Rims

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Dually Rims

Postby JSBlack » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:07 pm

Hey All,

I did try to go through the previous postings before bringing up this topic again, but didn't really find a good answer in what came before.

I have a 1990 1ton 4WD Diesel, and I am wanting to set it up as a dually. I just put on a flatbed, so clearance is a non-issue.

My cousin has several stock Chevy dually rims. He is confident that the bolt pattern is identical, but is unsure if the hub opening is the same, or too small.

Does anyone happen to know if this is possible? It would save me a day if anyone knows for certain. If not, suggestions for a cheap source of dually rims that would work? Looks are absolutely unimportant: everthing but the tires and cab are going to be semi-flat black when I am done with it.

Thanks in advance!

-John
'90 single-axle 1-ton, 4WD, sgl cab. Flatbed (for welder). Diesel, of course!
JSBlack
fuel pin?

Postby Philip » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:54 pm

Those chevys are drilled for a 9/16's wheel stud. Your Dodge should be 1/2" studs. Other than that the center holes should be the same.

Now the problem you will have. If your axle is a SRW it is to narrow for duals. The inner dual will hit the springs long before you get the lug nuts tight. A C&C axle is 6" wider than yours. A dually is almost 12" wider.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Dually Rims

Postby JSBlack » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:49 pm

Thanks for the info! I guess I will need to keep an eye peeled, then, for the correct rear-end, and plan on doing a change-out at some point. In the mean time I am running "A" type tires? If I am remembering correctly? I bought them at Sam's, and they have some really high rating, like, 70,000lbs or something.

My gear and the welding machine I add WILL add a lot of weight, but I have no doubt that the single rear wheel will carry it.

I think pipeliners have popularized the dually for a welding rig, because of the sloughs they sometimes have to drive through (or be pulled through by a dozer) to get to the worksite. Duallys carry more load, yes; but in this application they spread the load over a bigger footprint, like a snowshoe. Nice thing in mud...

Thanks for the info!
'90 single-axle 1-ton, 4WD, sgl cab. Flatbed (for welder). Diesel, of course!
JSBlack
fuel pin?

Postby randyswelding » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:56 pm

hey my single wheel 85 dodge with FB and welder and tools did just fine :D evan in sand but i dont know bout that or jumpin the rig :lol: you may want to double check the stud size cause my 85 single wheel dana 70 has 1/2" studs but my 92 has 5/8"studs so just recheck,remember always check 6 times and cut 1 time.ive learned that one
'92 D350 cab and chassy,pump turned up with 1/8 timin,coaltriann 6x16 sticks,htt manifold,asa intake cooler tubez,south bend 13" clutch rebuilt G360,ps cooler,industrial super 62 phat shaft turbo,weldin bed.
12 Chevy 3500ltz lifted, deleted, and bed with sae 300 ss hood for new rig
randyswelding
fuel screw!!!!

Postby lincoln » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:17 pm

Did you find rims or axle you where looking for? Im in Weatherford, Tx. Im cleaning my shop up and found a few sets of wheels. I dont mind checking them to see if they will fit.
lincoln
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Chassis