Fuel Tank

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Fuel Tank

Postby hummin cummins » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:23 am

I was thinkin bout putting in a 100 gallon tank in the bed of my truck and put a sender and everything in it. I am just wondering how i should plumb all the lines so the original can still be used. where can i get the senders and how should i run the return lines?? Farm Fuel is illeagal to run in trucks but not if they check the wrong tank :twisted: Im sick of the low sulfur fuel
Cummins 250 bd xxx injectors, stage iv/18, bhaf, fuel pin, 3200 gsp, valet swtch, isspro tach, autometer pyro and boost, full screw turned up
hummin cummins
fuel pin?

Postby CAJUN 93 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:06 pm

you might want to find out the legality of carrying more than 100 gallons of fuel. some states require placards and special license to do so. i wont even begin to preach about the consequenses of red fuel (we're all adults here :lol: )

most aux tanks mounted in the bed tap into the vent line on the filler neck of the stock tank. when the primary tank gets low pump or allow gravity to fill it back up from the aux tank. by doing it this way you dont have to worry about return lines. if you chose to run red fuel and dont want to contaminate the primary tank, you will have to use a switched primary and return line kinda like the fords with dual tanks.
93 d350 5spd 3.54-bhaf,stg iv,banks intercooler,bosch185,16cm,pacbrake,4" straight exh,pump mods,366 spring,leece-neville alt.
hers- 93 d250 auto 3.54- pump mods only
ours- 93 w350 dually, auto, 3.54. stock for now
parts 93 d350 auto, 92 d250 auto.
CAJUN 93
14mm rotor

Postby hummin cummins » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:52 pm

My friend has a brand new cummins thats loaded and has a bully dog tuner in it and he has a fuel tank in the back and fills it up with red fuel. We were driving to Wyoming with an enclosed snowmobile trailer and with the red fuel his truck got 11 mpg and when he ran out of fuel and put in the low sulfur he only got 7!!! :evil: This new fuel is not at all what it is cut out to be.
Cummins 250 bd xxx injectors, stage iv/18, bhaf, fuel pin, 3200 gsp, valet swtch, isspro tach, autometer pyro and boost, full screw turned up
hummin cummins
fuel pin?

Postby MMiller » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:11 am

Just remember that a smart officer will get a sample from the fuel filter drain. There's beena few guys with locking tank caps, and tell the officer that they left the key at home. The officer said no problem and took a sample from the filter. Also remember if you are switching from red to road, your filter will still be red for a while. You'd better not have any enimies that will turn you in.

That being said, the likely hood of getting checked is low. Just don't park you truck at Sale barns on sale day, it will get sampled when you are in buying or selling calves.

Michael
1993 W250, 3.55, NV5600 , Con O, bosch 185's, 4" exhaust, Super 40, pump tweaks, ground pin, Smokehouse air intake, Hamilton Cam,
1985 D350, Crew Cab, 92 cummins and a 518. 47rh to be built and installed along with 3.55 LS Dana 80
MMiller
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Begle1 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:40 pm

Apparently, the chemical tracers in the red fuel can even be detected in tail-pipe swabs.

From what I tell, some states have lenient enough fines that a few hundred gallons make it worthwhile, but some states' fines can send you into bankruptcy.

Not that I have any problem with paying fuel taxes.
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby hummin cummins » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:14 pm

i have no problem whatsoever payin fuel tax its just that the new low sulfur stuff is hard on seals and i dont want to have mine rebuilt... anywho how do i plumb up th
hummin cummins
fuel pin?

Postby hummin cummins » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:18 pm

sorry tha computer froze up... what i was trying to ask is how should i run the return lines? any special way? I am not trying to get tax free fuel I am only trying to run a fuel that will lubricate and will not take out the seals on the pump.. if there is any fuel that i can buy that is the same as farm fuel i will get it.
hummin cummins
fuel pin?

Postby Begle1 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:13 am

Based on what I've red, most red fuel is actually ULSD. Not because it has to be, but because refineries don't want to make two different kinds of Diesel fuel.

Of course, if that statement doesn't turn out to be true, then you can legally run red if you keep a log book and mail the Fed's the taxes for it at the end of the quarter.

Also, I think that directly taking fuel from an in-bed tank is of questionable legality, which is why a lot of people run the transfer tanks and just pump it from the in-bed to the stocker. And, as has been said, it also might be illegal to carry over 100 gallons of fuel, especially in a non-DOT certified tank.

AND TO ANSWER THE QUESTION:

The Standard Method
I have a dual tank setup myself, so I did research when I set mine up, and it seems that the only thing available is the Pollak 6-way valve used in Ford's OEM applications. To my knowledge, they're the only guys that make valves for this application.
http://pollak.thomasnet.com/viewitems/f ... &forward=1
The downside to them is that the port sizes are a bit on the small side, and that they cost $70.00 from the eBay resellers; however, I got mine from a distributor and it only cost $35.00. (The other downside is that they apparently don't like hot fuel as much as they say, so I'll have to get rid of mine before I finish my veggie system.)
You splice the Pollak valve into your stock return and sender lines, then you run your auxiliary return and sender lines to it. With the flip of a button, it switches both lines simultaneously, avoiding cross-tank contamination. It even switches the fuel tank senders so your gauge reads whatever tank it's feeding off of. :D

As for me, I'm passively looking for a pair of heavier-duty three-port switches with 1/2 inch diameter, so I don't have the restriction in my fuel system or melt the Pollak with my 200 degree oil.
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby Philip » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:31 am

If the officer sees any lines plumbed into the red tank that attach to your stock system. It will be a massive red flag. He will dig deeper without a dought.

Use a fuel transfer pump with a hose and nozzle. Leave the red tank as a stand alone system.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Return to Chassis