windshield wiper malfunction

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

windshield wiper malfunction

Postby DDT » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:10 pm

wipers dontwork, but the motor is functioning properly. I can see through the cowl louvers that the connecting mechanism has come off... fallen off....broken off? How do you get the cowl cover off? I see the screws on the hood side, but it appears the back edge goes under the windshield rubber seal. I'll take it off tommorrow; anyone had any experience with this? What am I likely to find? HELP....Rain-ex is expensive and I'm tired of using a string to pull the wiper arms back and forth. I have extreme confidence in the problemsolving ability of this group. C'mon guys don't shatter my confidence and admiration...........Thanks, Danny
9 3 W350 Club Cab,DRW, K&N filter, pump adjusted, 366 spring, 16cm GDS 60cm, 4 in exhaust, Diprocal boost/EGT, PODs on the way out
DDT
fuel pin?

Postby 921stgen » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:28 pm

Take the wiper arms off. Uunscrew the 8 or so screws off the cowl in engine compartment. Lift it up gently enough were you can release the winshield squirter from the cowl or you will break them off. You could also cut the hose and replace it, thats what I did. Now you can fight it out from under the window and dealing with the hood. You probably need new wiper arm bushing you can get from auto parts stores in the Help section, I got mine from napa. Pretty simple.
91 W250 pods, , pull cable, Isspro FP gauge, Isspro boost, pyro, 366 spring, 91 W350, sold-92 W250, 40 hp Injectors, Bully Dog Fuel Pin, Isspro-tach, boots, pyro, AM electric fp gauge, 3200 GS, 5" AEM intake, 4" exhaust 5" stack
921stgen
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RumbleFish » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:43 pm

i just did this last week. its a minor PITA, but not like you have a choice. you'll need 4 bushings, they come 2 in a pack. i can get you a part number while im at work tomorrow if you want.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:02 am

Check the nut on the wiper motor too. Mine was loose and the arm was working.
Of course, then I broke the end of the shaft off and didn't have $60 for a new motor. So I welded it back on. :lol:

And it's easier if you have a helper when you put the cowl back on. A person on each side to work it under the rubber makes big difference.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby DDT » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:38 am

RumbleFish wrote:i just did this last week. its a minor PITA, but not like you have a choice. you'll need 4 bushings, they come 2 in a pack. i canTHANKS that would help get you a part number while im at work tomorrow if you want.
9 3 W350 Club Cab,DRW, K&N filter, pump adjusted, 366 spring, 16cm GDS 60cm, 4 in exhaust, Diprocal boost/EGT, PODs on the way out
DDT
fuel pin?

Postby RumbleFish » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:47 am

oh, if your truck has had a new windsheild and/or gasket put in recently, expect to spend a majority of your time fighting to get the cowl under the new gasket. i had maybe 20 mins in taking it apart and putting the new bushings in. then nearly an hour wrestling the cowl under the still flexible gasket. on my 90 1/2 tonner i traded for this truck, the factory gasket was hardened enough to keep its shape when i pulled the cowl out. yours might be too.

you're looking for part # 49440 in the help section. this comes with 2 busings that you'll need. you'll need 2 packs do the entire linkage. i only put 2 in because i only bought one pack and was running out of time and daylight. im really gonna kick myself when the otherbushings go and i gotta fight that $^%&*ing cowl again!
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby DDT » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:13 pm

Mission accomplished! Thanks, guys, for all the help. Replaced all four bushings( from NAPA ); Not as bad as I anticipated so far; I haven't replaced the cowl....... found an old sock and two squirrel nests that I need to get out tommorrow. Looks like plenty of room under the seal; shouldn't be too difficult. Thanks again.
Danny
DDT
fuel pin?

Postby RSWORDS » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:28 pm

I just hopped on here to see how to remove the cowl to fix the EXACT same problem. :lol:

Thanks!!
RSWORDS
14mm rotor

Postby dpuckett » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:13 am

Rumblefish- the bushings that broke in yours are only about a year or so old. I think I redid them in the fall of 06. I was driving home, and the left wiper kept going- stuck out almost as far as the mirror, lol. And, of course, the rain wouldnt let up, stores were closed, etc.

I'm getting mine from Dodge from now on- the first pack I bought from o'Reilley didnt do so well. Plastic was too hard.

DP
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby RumbleFish » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:50 pm

interesting. the busing for the pass side wiper was gone. like, no where to be found. it was one of them for the driver side that went on me. how much are the mopar pieces?
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Return to Chassis