Super single 37's on first gen.

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Super single 37's on first gen.

Postby kiszka6911 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:38 am

I was wondering what the max tire size guys are running with a 4" lift with no fender trimming. I am working with Thomas Cepek on building a set of rims for dually pickups that would allow you to run a heavy duty super single tire. I feel that this would allow people to get more use out of their duallys without modifying the truck unless you wanted to. If I can make this work I am planning on taking the duals and fender extension completly off.

As a starting point we are using his super strong H1 Hummer rims which are rated at 4200 lbs loads. These aluminum rims have been tested and DOT certifed for use on the very heavy H1. The H1 rims use a very deep 7" offset which is very close to putting the rim centerline back where it needs to be on our dually spaced trucks. Rim centerline is moved outward 2" but the inside wheel bead lip is within 1" of the current duallys location. This keeps the tire envelope from moving to far in and rubbing on suspension parts.

The options for sizes would be a 17"x8.5 or 18" by 8.5" or 9.5" both have the same backspacing. We may have to use two different rim offsets to align the wheels front to back but I won't know if this is the case until I do some more layout work.

Thomas has stated that machining the wheels for the 5/8" lug stud would not be an issue. These wheels are lug centric and would require 5/8" acorn nuts.

Some info about H1 rims can be found here...
http://flashoffroad.com/features/Wheels/Wheels.htm
Some info about Cepek rims can be found here...
http://flashoffroad.com/catalog/origina ... Wheels.htm

Please provide me with any comments or interest. I have not brought up with him a possible group buy but it could lower our costs if there is interest.
Anthony Kiszka. MI 1993 W350, 3.5" flowmaster exhaust, BD+60 injectors, OSFP, 3200 GS, westach BST & EGT. HTT Stage III, 16CM housing. BHAF, airflo elbows, Skyjacker springs, Buckstop bumpers, Firestone M/T 235-85-16 tires, PIAA fogs, H4 conversions.
kiszka6911
fuel screw!!!!

Postby eyoung429 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:15 pm

I wouldn't be against running a set of 12.5 for playing with and then changing back to duals afterwards.....:)
1991 IC D350 2wd Dually,st cab, full 4in Magnaflow exhaust, 3.73 gears, auto 518,HX35....goin' to twins!!!
member of the cable pull club
eyoung429
fuel screw!!!!

Postby kiszka6911 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:24 pm

That's kind of the idea I had. You could still pull the boat with camper or trailer then change tires. Take of the the duals and then have some fun running around the dunes or back forty with out the front end sinking!
Anthony Kiszka. MI 1993 W350, 3.5" flowmaster exhaust, BD+60 injectors, OSFP, 3200 GS, westach BST & EGT. HTT Stage III, 16CM housing. BHAF, airflo elbows, Skyjacker springs, Buckstop bumpers, Firestone M/T 235-85-16 tires, PIAA fogs, H4 conversions.
kiszka6911
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Cowboy_Customs » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:58 pm

DAMN IT!
I had this big long shpeel typed out, n the friggin site screwed up!
I'll try this again, and shorter, I dont feel like typing it out AGAIN!

OK, so are we trying to put big offroad tires on a H-1 rim? or are we talking about builind the first real supersingle for dually's?

If were talking about the first pick-up super single....
Not in a 17", keep it simple. Folks like simple, im simple.
a 16" or 19.5" supersingle rear dually replacement is a GREAT idea. I have been dying for the first ones to roll off the assembly lines.
Work up to a 17 and 18 and so on.
Super Singles in the trucking industry are catching on, slowly. And it'll be that way in the light truck consumer market too. So keep it simple.

I tell ya, If I knew super singles were coming SOON, id put my plans on hold for 19.5" regualy dually wheels.
Lost, but not forgotten. '93 Dodge D-350 regular cab 2x6, 5-speed, Phantom Pyro, LED guages, Polished valve covers, 366 spring, 4 inch Rip DP, to 6 inch stacks, lots 'o lights
http://community.webshots.com/user/Cowboy_Customs
Cowboy_Customs
fuel screw!!!!

Postby kiszka6911 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:54 pm

I think any of the custom rim people can build a rim easy enough, the problem is there no load rated E super single tires out there for 16" rims. When you move into off road tires you have some options. I have seen 33x13.5 which if they were load rated E would have enough area to replace the duals.

My main goal is to convert the truck to SRW (single rear wheels) with out have to swap axles and have some nice looking rims with tires that match the size of the the truck.

And yes I would be using offroad tires but not overly large ones, 35x12.5 but still E load rated.

BTW 37" are not going to clear with out major fender triming I have dropped down to 35's.
kiszka6911
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Cowboy_Customs » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:44 am

OK, I got ya now! Let me ask you this though, because I am very curious with how this turns out. SRW, with or with out the dually fenders? I love my dually trucks, so I just dont have the heart to remove those fenders, unless it was 4x4. lol
Lost, but not forgotten. '93 Dodge D-350 regular cab 2x6, 5-speed, Phantom Pyro, LED guages, Polished valve covers, 366 spring, 4 inch Rip DP, to 6 inch stacks, lots 'o lights
http://community.webshots.com/user/Cowboy_Customs
Cowboy_Customs
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Chassis