Fuel Gauge no worky...

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Fuel Gauge no worky...

Postby 2001shrtbedcummins » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:16 pm

Yea my fuel gauge doesn't work...drove it up on ramps to change the oil...drove it down and it's stuck on E...what should I do?
2001shrtbedcummins
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Begle1 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:13 pm

Well, it's either the sender, the gauge or the wiring.

The sender is a potentiometer connected to a float... I think that it has a high resistence when it is empty, so if it shorts it reads E. So if you bypass the sender with a piece of wire, then the gauge should read F, right?

So if that doesn't work, you know it isn't the sender... Don't know from there...
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby 2001shrtbedcummins » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:43 pm

okay thanks man...I'll write that down...down it's high...high it's low...so now what?
91 D250 smoke screw turned a little... trying to figure out how to get my big @$$ hands in there and crank up the fuel screw a hair.
2001shrtbedcummins
fuel screw!!!!

sender unit

Postby charger 69 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:35 pm

Begle1 wrote:Well, it's either the sender, the gauge or the wiring.

The sender is a potentiometer connected to a float... I think that it has a high resistence when it is empty, so if it shorts it reads E. So if you bypass the sender with a piece of wire, then the gauge should read F, right?

So if that doesn't work, you know it isn't the sender... Don't know from there...

If its the sender is there any fix or do you have to replace it? The gage works on the second tank but not the main tank.
92 White D350 132K,mi. fuel screw in 3,5 turns automatic with a Hughes converter and 26K add on cooler.Aluminum wheels,second fuel tank,gooseneck hitch,air bags tach.and gages,
charger 69
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Begle1 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:37 pm

The sender is a potentiometer attached to a float; as the float goes up and down, it turns the potentiometer and changes resistance.

If the sender itself is bad, the float could either be broken off or the pot could be faulty. A new float could probably be made out of anything, but I wouldn't know where to find a potentiometer with the same ohm range. Sender couldn't be too much from a junkyard; don't know if the Diesel senders were common with the gas senders, though. If they weren't then it might be hard to find.
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby 2001shrtbedcummins » Wed May 02, 2007 4:48 am

well it works now...went over a big hump in an intersection at about 40. Went straight to E. Got to school shut it off...went in for a few minutes came back out and it was working.
91 D250 smoke screw turned a little... trying to figure out how to get my big @$$ hands in there and crank up the fuel screw a hair.
2001shrtbedcummins
fuel screw!!!!

Postby CAJUN 93 » Wed May 02, 2007 5:52 am

you've got a loose connection somewhere. when and if it stops working again, start at the tank end and check connections (have an ohm meter handy, its very usefull in diaging this).

as for the ?? about fixing the sender, i have had luck on older cars of removing the sender and cleaning the brass contacts (you'll see them where the swing arm attaches to the main housing) with brake cleaner. it seems that they get coated with a varnish after years of use and loose some efficiency. from what i hear, a couple tanks of bio fuel will have the same effect as it has a high solvent quality to it, but i dont have it available to me down here in the swamp :( .

hope this helps
daryl
93 d350 5spd 3.54-bhaf,stg iv,banks intercooler,bosch185,16cm,pacbrake,4" straight exh,pump mods,366 spring,leece-neville alt.
hers- 93 d250 auto 3.54- pump mods only
ours- 93 w350 dually, auto, 3.54. stock for now
parts 93 d350 auto, 92 d250 auto.
CAJUN 93
14mm rotor

Postby 2001shrtbedcummins » Fri May 04, 2007 4:50 am

The thing about it is, the last time it did it, it fixed itself. The last owner ripped a hole in the bed to "fix" this problem :DOH: so I can take the sender out without dropping it. I might take it out again and clean the sender. But I have run three-four tanks of at least B10 on tank of B15.
2001shrtbedcummins
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Chassis