What sort of rims would fit on my truck?

everything but the drivetrain

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

What sort of rims would fit on my truck?

Postby Begle1 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:31 pm

I don't know anything about rims...

Before I go out looking for some, is there a specific bolt pattern or hole size or something that I should know?

Would any 8-lugger work, or do I need a pre-given-year Ford or Dodge, or do some trucks have bigger lugs, or something like that?
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby RumbleFish » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:20 pm

anything 8 on 6.5" will work, which is all of the big three trucks except 99 and newer ford stooper duties. they use some wierd metric pattern.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:45 pm

Thanks! Without your post I would've been stuck trying to ream out some Excursion wheels.

Anybody know how wide of tires we can fit on the stock rims?

My truck has 235/85/R16's on it now, I need to go wider; the back doesn't seem to care how wide I can go, but the front looks like it'd only take an extra inch and and a half of width; I'm under 1 inch from rubbing that suspension doo-dad on the top of the wheel.

Looks to me like you couldn't go farther than 275 width; 275/ 70 would be a tad shorter, 275/75 would be a tad larger. I'd think that I could just pull off a 275/75 on the front?

Which leads to the next question of whether or not I could fit 275/70's on the stock rims. I think that'd be a bit of a stretch, no?
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:59 pm

Of course, if I went to a 17 or 18 inch rim, that would clear the suspension doo-dad and I could go over 300 for tire width.

IT HURTS THE BRAIN!!! What rims should I buy, do the rims have tires, will the tires fit, could I get these used tires and then get these rims, what if I buy these 4 tires and only put them on the back so I have two sets, what about my spare if I have two different sizes, IT HURTS BAD!!!
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby RumbleFish » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:09 pm

Just get some that are at least 20" in diameter, and make sure to get the neat-o bling bling spinners. I hear this is the recipe to be big pimpin'. Just cruise around until you see some crackhead on the street corner. I'm sure he knows of some local to you.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:25 pm

Well, $350 just got me 2 new and 2 slightly used 265/75's on 2006 Chevy factory alloys.

Sound good to ya'll? I haven't seen pictures; they probably have bowties grained into them all the way around...
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby RumbleFish » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:23 pm

the bowtie is on the center cap. leave those off.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:40 am

Ever see center caps for them without bowties, by chance?

I'll need to look at 'em closer once I get 'em on.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:31 pm

Well, I got the wheels.

And stock 2006 Chevy rims DO NOT fit onto my D71 rear end. The stock rims have a smooth 4 1/2 inch diameter hole, but the Chevy's have "knuckles" on the perimeter of the hole that just barely keep them from fitting. I only need to file 1/16 or less of an inch out of them to make them fit, but they don't go on the way it is. Maybe with a sledgehammer, but then would only come off with a bigger sledgehammer. What do ya'll think the best way to file them off would be?

And the stock center caps can't clear the hub of the axle, so if anybody knows of some sort of aftermarket thing I could use I'd be interested.

The two "slightly used" tires have pretty ugly alignment wear on them. I put them on my front since my alignment is shot as it is, but now I got the vibration. Is there a way to fix that? Could they be re-weighted, or would those little weight balls do it, or just put them on the back and do a 20 second burn out on each one?

And our trucks take SAE lugnuts, don't they? Apparently GM uses metric ones, because those are what the guy had, and they went on just fine by hand. So I was partially convinced that the studs were metric until I lowerd the truck and went to tighten them with a tire iron and they all spun on the studs. Anybody know where I can get some lugnuts with a longer-than-stock taper but that fit onto the stock threads?

I figure I still came out ahead. Not be much, but I made a deal.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:04 pm

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ ... p?t=100682

According to DTR, most Chevy center holes are too small, not just the newer ones.

But it only took 30 minutes and 1 angle grinder wheel to get the back tires mounted. They look sharp now.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Return to Chassis