Improved cup holders

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Improved cup holders

Postby Gots_a_sol » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:12 pm

So the dodge center console has some short comings. The first off is the cup holders. I mean really dodge (and ford/chevy did this dumb crap back in the day as well) what the hell am I supposed to do with these?

With insert. The shallow depth is as much an issue as the inner diameter is simply too small for the bottle to fit in.

Without, just as bad.

Time to build some stuff...

Not quite big enough

That'll do nicely.

So skip a bunch of steps and you have this. The absolute hardest part was trying to hold the cup holder part in place and hold the support brace and try to tack weld it while all of this was in the console. I almost gave up here :lol:

The bolts fit in the factory holes that bolted down the console, just need longer screws.

Which I plasti-dipped. And yes, the drivers side is deeper than the passenger side. It was intentional.

And then scrubbed the console clean and dipped the little storage pocket in the middle as well (which I'm still waiting to dry)

So then the next problem is there is no kind of storage tray inside this thing, just a big empty void.

Well I grabbed the tray from my ford bronco console I had been using and it was pretty close to fitting. I had to file down the outside edges so it would drop in and smooth the bottom of them so it would sit low enough for the lid to close.

-Joe

00 Excursion - 12v/nv4500, he351cw, 5x12s, 366 spring, THD piston pump, 4" intake/exhaust
Gots_a_sol
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Improved cup holders

Postby cumminsgirl » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:58 am

If I could weld I would def try this, those factory cup holders suck! Looks good
1993 W350 4x4 Dually, 5spd, HX35 Turbo, M4 Fuel Pin, Fuel and smoke screw adjusted, Hydro assisted brake mod, 6" bull horn stacks.
cumminsgirl
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Gots_a_sol » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:15 pm

Installed my cup holders of doooooooooooooom today, as my friend calls them haha :lol: along with the dodge console of course

Hello down there

Perfect spot for the phone. The passenger side lines up better than the pic shows btw.

-Joe

00 Excursion - 12v/nv4500, he351cw, 5x12s, 366 spring, THD piston pump, 4" intake/exhaust
Gots_a_sol
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 49COE » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:09 pm

Nice job. You know what I think would be an excellent improvement on the cupholders in any 3/4 ton plus truck....? I splash ring with a drain tube. It is nearly impossible to drive down anything less than a freshly paved runway with more than a half full cup of coffee without it geysering out and getting everywhere. Just a suggestion, again nice job.
49COE
fuel pin?

Postby wwaaddss » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:32 pm

thats a great idea man
wwaaddss
fuel pin?

Return to Cool projects YOU can do