Aux Fuel Tank

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Aux Fuel Tank

Postby Burritoboi5 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:55 am

Thought I would share this since I haven't been able to find much information in my original searches. I got a 50 gallon fuel tank from a friend for the price of free fiddy, and wanted to plumb it into my stock tank without a 6 way valve and without having to get out of the cab to use it.

Basically, I mounted the tank in the bed, and using the stock pickup tube ran 3/8in fuel line to a Jegs 130GPH rotary vane. From here, the line passes through the bed and into a filter. The filter and filter adapter I got from NAPA, I can get the part number if anyone is interested, but basically it's just mounted with a piece of angle iron to the frame. The key to making it completely controllable from the cab was installing an anti-siphon valve also for 3/8in line that I got from a marine supplier. I still have a manual ball valve on top of the tank, but the anti-siphon valve works as it should. From here, I simply welded a 3/8in NPT bung into the stock fuel filler neck, and extended the vent with a T. The vent is 3/4in BTW. This setup allows me to have an additional 50 gallons of fuel on demand just by pulling a knob in the cab. All in I think it cost me about 150 bucks. It takes about 5-8 minutes to go from 1/2 tank to just below full.

Here you can see the filter, not really visible if you're standing next to the truck.

And here is the tank, the gasoline filter is used as a vent filter and not tidied up yet in this picture. The pump wiring also got split loomed. Obviously all connections are soldered and grommeted.

Burritoboi5
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Aux Fuel Tank

Postby GoldenRule » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:43 pm

Thanks for the post! Planning to do something similar and appreciate the details.
GoldenRule
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Cool projects YOU can do