Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: exhaust brake

Postby 93oneton » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Shit happens
93oneton
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 93oneton » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:34 pm

Got the box built tonight that holds my air tank. Also pilled the air compressor out from under my chevy and mounted it to the box. This whole unit will Mount inside my tool box.

Shit happens
93oneton
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Billy Bones » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:01 pm

Is it installed and working?
Billy Bones
fuel screw!!!!

Postby joshotto94 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:40 pm

id like to see a video of this installed and working and i would like to hear it
joshotto94
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 93oneton » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:07 pm

I will get a video of this up when i finish it. Been super busy at work and no time for workin on the dodge.
Shit happens
93oneton
fuel screw!!!!

Postby JimmieD » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:55 am

Looks real good there on your exhaust brake, nice workmanship. I've got some of my parts together to build this same type of brake. Scored a 5" Nikasil cylinder liner, nice high nickel steel for my housing, about 3/16" wall thickness. Also found a piece of nickel chrome plate about 3/16" thick for my butterfly.

I skimmed through the text and may have missed where it was mentioned but wanted to add some FYI either for you or others who might copy your work, just in case folks don't know.

Some years back when I researched this design I found that one mfgr. gave some specs on their website, since removed. That is for a bypass orifice in the butterfly plate. The exhaust gasses can't be cut off completely or you'll lift valves and float them, doing major engine damage. They had given specs. that equalled an orifice of about 20% of the surface area of plate. Say for a 5" plate they used roughly 1" bypass orifice. That way some exhaust gas can flow on through even when butterfly is closed, helping to prevent valve float.

In addition a guy definitely wants to upgrade to at least 60lbs valve springs to help prevent valve float.

You can also use a spring in the brake's actuator mechanism to help accomplish the same. I'm not sure of the correct actuator spring tension but you don't want exhaust gas pressures to exceed the 60 lbs seat pressure of the valve springs. The actuator mechanism's spring should allow the butterfly to open before the exhaust pressures can float the valves at '60 lbs' rated valve spring presure. Maybe somebody here has some info on the actual exhaust gas pressures we're dealing with, to help calculate the right bypass spring pressure.

Hope that makes sense and prevents anybody doing engine damage with their DIY exhaust brake.
1967 Dodge D-100 Town Wagon - CPL 858 4BT, HTT Stage II/H1C 16cm/56cm turbo, '93 CTD I/C, 32K spring, minor fuel tweaks, milled head, NV4500, 1 ton springs, '72 D-200 Frt. axle w/ Air Lift bags, 4.10 Dana 60HD, F/R swaybars, Tom Woods shaft.

'90 W-350 gasser...
JimmieD
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 93oneton » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:14 am

,thanks jimmied, i have also read about that bypass valve in the exhaust flap. I was goin to try and regulate the air pressure goin to my actuator so if it got to around 55-60 lbs it would open and keep the pressure in the safe zone. Not sure if it will work yet but i will be doin some testing on it before i install it this spring
Shit happens
93oneton
fuel screw!!!!

Postby JimmieD » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:03 pm

Sounds good, just didn't want you to accidently blow anything up!

I considered the same solution but I couldn't figure out the relative pressures. That is I don't know exatly what '60 lbs valve springs' means. If that's the actual pressure exerted by the valve spring, holding valve down on seat? Don't know how that translates to the actual pressure of the exhaust gases in the pipe. Can't figure out if a 50 lbs spring on actuator would be correct spring tension for exhaust gas psi related to valve's seat pressure. Too complicated for me to figure out so far and couldn't find any info resource to clear the fog...

Hope you have a better time with it!
1967 Dodge D-100 Town Wagon - CPL 858 4BT, HTT Stage II/H1C 16cm/56cm turbo, '93 CTD I/C, 32K spring, minor fuel tweaks, milled head, NV4500, 1 ton springs, '72 D-200 Frt. axle w/ Air Lift bags, 4.10 Dana 60HD, F/R swaybars, Tom Woods shaft.

'90 W-350 gasser...
JimmieD
fuel screw!!!!

Postby DMan1198 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:14 pm

Technically speaking a 60lb valve spring is supposed to be 60 pounds of additional pressure over the stock springs. Iirc the back pressure created by the Vgt on the 6.7's with exhaust brake enabled is somewhere around 80psi
Ducati- professional nap taker, and thread derailer extraordinaire
Brownie: 80 dodge heavy half. Ghost cummins under the hood, and some sinister plans
The Roo Hunter: 93 w250, lifted, 2 whistle machines, and a bunch of other go fast goodies, uhh..... not there yet
Jaeger: 12 ram 3500. Lifted, exhausted, and fed an excessive quantity of air
The Huntress: 02 Jetta TDI. No muffler, egr, horsepower
DMan1198
14mm rotor

Postby swank » Fri May 16, 2014 10:08 am

93oneton wrote:,thanks jimmied, i have also read about that bypass valve in the exhaust flap. I was goin to try and regulate the air pressure goin to my actuator so if it got to around 55-60 lbs it would open and keep the pressure in the safe zone. Not sure if it will work yet but i will be doin some testing on it before i install it this spring

That is my plan for attacking this problem as well. I've got one of these sitting around that I built a long time ago. Haven't installed it though. My plan was just to install a bleeder valve or regulator somewhere in the line and mount a temporary gauge to the exhaust, get everything adjusted while idling, then seal it up.
truck
swank
Administrator

Postby 93oneton » Tue May 20, 2014 6:32 am

swank wrote:
93oneton wrote:,thanks jimmied, i have also read about that bypass valve in the exhaust flap. I was goin to try and regulate the air pressure goin to my actuator so if it got to around 55-60 lbs it would open and keep the pressure in the safe zone. Not sure if it will work yet but i will be doin some testing on it before i install it this spring

That is my plan for attacking this problem as well. I've got one of these sitting around that I built a long time ago. Haven't installed it though. My plan was just to install a bleeder valve or regulator somewhere in the line and mount a temporary gauge to the exhaust, get everything adjusted while idling, then seal it up.

That was my thought also. Just a temporary gauge to get it dialed in the close it off and run it. I hope to get this put on here in the next month or so. We will see. Lol
Shit happens
93oneton
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Ryker Carruthers » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:36 pm

What are the specs on the air cylinder you have?
Ryker Carruthers

92 W250 g360 3.55's
Ryker Carruthers
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 93oneton » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:57 pm

Ryker Carruthers wrote:What are the specs on the air cylinder you have?

Not sure. I bought it on ebay lol. The brake is still hanging in the garage. Maybe ill put it in while im doin My crew cab swap. Ill see if there are any specs on it.
Shit happens
93oneton
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:57 pm

You built it 2 years ago and it's still in the garage? :lol: That sounds like me! :lol:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Ryker Carruthers » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:39 pm

I bet it'll take 2 years for me to put one together lol
Ryker Carruthers

92 W250 g360 3.55's
Ryker Carruthers
fuel screw!!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Cool projects YOU can do