Diesel driven engine heater

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Diesel driven engine heater

Postby Oskar » Sun May 11, 2014 8:52 am

Hi, just want to share a video i made of one of the best features i have on the truck, my diesel powered heater! it heats the coolant from freezing temps up to normal operating temp in about ½hour, and it consumes a lot less fuel than to let the engine idle, it's way more efficient too, an idling engine at low ambient with the visco fan blowing cold air at it is not the best way to get the temp up...

I don't know if these kind of heaters are so common over in the US/Canada? here in the nordic countries they are very common, and every new diesel car except the low priced crap has them as standard.
it's a really convenient feature during winter!
It's also very common to have electric engine and in-cab heaters here too, (http://www.calix.se/en/vehicles/cars) but the fuel powered are a lot more powerful, heat up quicker and have no need for plugging in any power cords.

here's the video showing the heater installed and operating: http://youtu.be/Uqe1WAY4M8c
Oskar
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Diesel driven engine heater

Postby CumminsPower59 » Sun May 11, 2014 9:15 am

Pretty slick setup! 8)
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby Oskar » Thu May 15, 2014 2:32 pm

thanks! it was a tight fit but that was the only place it could be practically mounted without moving other stock components. the heating power is 5.5kW so it is a very quick and convenient way to defrost a frozen cab and melt ice off the windows!
Oskar
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Thu May 15, 2014 3:24 pm

I've seen systems like that on semi trucks here but never on a pickup. They use them so you can sleep in the bunk and not idle to meet the newer federal regulations.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Fri May 16, 2014 5:45 pm

I've seen Webasto and Espar heaters on equipment before. Same idea but the ones I've seen only heat the cab. The older Trojan loaders had Deutz engines with an engine oil cab heater. They suck so most had the fuel fired heater on them also.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Return to Cool projects YOU can do