Banks Exhaust brake

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Banks Exhaust brake

Postby MicksJunkyard » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:47 pm

I found a really good deal on a banks exhaust brake that was made for the second gen Ram/cummins. I want to apply this my first gen. I have a 4in turbo back exhaust on a stock turbo it looks like it will fit without modification to the firewall but I have not test fit it with all components. I will most likely eventually upgrade my turbo and maybe sooner than later. For people who have modified there turbo does it change the space available for me to fab in the exhaust brake? I am wanting a truck that can pull camper, car hauler, toys, etc. I am modifying for reliability and economy and will welcome the additional torque/hp these mods bring but I want a very respectful truck in terms of smoke and power. I want it to be comfortable to drive and will not be racing or anything so I am not sure what turbo to go with and thus am not sure if I can fab the banks brake to fit.
1993 dodge d350 2wd/dual . Converted auto to NV4500. DIY air intake, fixed all the leaks and now ready to upgrade
MicksJunkyard
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Banks Exhaust brake

Postby dazedandconfused » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:47 am

The only Banks brake I've ever dealt with was on a second gen. It was attached to an hx35 that had the two bolt down pipe. I know my truck had the V band style down pipe. As for sizing of the turbo I believe the S300 based turbos are the same or close to the same physical size as the stock units.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby MicksJunkyard » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:01 am

yess sir this one is brand new in box unit made for the second gen but I think I can make it fit. I guess I really need to decide on a turbo to know. For my application would the s300 be better than the hx35 or vice versa?
1993 dodge d350 2wd/dual . Converted auto to NV4500. DIY air intake, fixed all the leaks and now ready to upgrade
MicksJunkyard
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:44 am

I run an HX35 on my truck and I can't tell a difference between it and the stock charger. The HX35 is a straight forward swap
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby MicksJunkyard » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:04 am

When you say you cant tell a difference do you mean in terms of size or performance? There is so much info and opinions on turbo applications it is daunting to read about.I couldnt pass them up tho I bought 2 of them from a camper world that closed and got a screaming deal even if I cant apply it I think I can sell them and maybe get a pac brake or something else that fits but I think if i can make one physically fit then it should work out.
MicksJunkyard
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:06 am

Spool up and performance wise I don't feel or notice a difference.
Big Andy
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Return to Cool projects YOU can do