Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

pick up tube/draw straw or whatever you want to call it

Postby redneckroot » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:28 pm

Here is what I did for my 1/2" pick up in the tank. Total cost about $14.00

Whats needed:
1- 8an bulkhead fitting (I got mine from summit) $4.95
1- 8an to 3/4npt adapter fitting (got mine at the tractor store) $6.25
1- 3/4 piece of pipe Can't remember the length of hand $3.00
2- Plastic washers to seal the bulkhead (I already had these)

To start off here is a picture of everything pulled apart. When I attached the 8an to 3/4npt fitting to the pipe I put JB weld on the threads, this was mainly to seal it and to guarantee that I wouldn't have to worry about anything being dissolved by fuel or it loosening up. I've seen to many race cars have problems sucking air or having the fitting drop off in the tank to not address it from the start.

Next I played around with where to drill the hole, it is important to check to make sure the pipe will sit in the bottom of the plastic cup on the bottom, it has a ledge you have to watch out for.

In this picture if you look at the upper left you can see where I drilled the hole and already have installed the bulkhead fitting.

I then cut off the pipe so it is about 1/8th inch from bottoming out once installed, and notched it a little to make sure that it can suck fuel with no possibility of it suctioning itself to the bottom plastic.

After I installed the pipe I put it all back together and used some stainless steel wire I had to tie everything together. The camera angle makes it look crooked but its straight. Threw it in the truck and went to bed.
1990 Restored with a bit of aftermarket goodies might be for sale?
1993 ex. cab 2wd soon to be 4wd Newest Project
1998 ex. cab 12v 4x4 now a 5 speed SOLD
redneckroot
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:29 am

I hope that's not galvanized pipe. I've always heard that diesel and galvanized are a no-no. Causes a chemical reaction or something. Maybe somebody here can clarify this some. I never took chemistry because I skipped out to Vo Tech. ;)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby redneckroot » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:07 am

I've never heard of that but I have another piece I'll throw in a cup and let it sit with some diesel on it for a few days see what happens.
1990 Restored with a bit of aftermarket goodies might be for sale?
1993 ex. cab 2wd soon to be 4wd Newest Project
1998 ex. cab 12v 4x4 now a 5 speed SOLD
redneckroot
14mm rotor

I just did this to my truck!!

Postby SmokeScreen » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:47 pm

Hey man,
Great idea on the fuel pickup mod. I went ahead and did it and I also replaced the fuel lines also. I went to 3/8 " up to the fuel filter and 5/16" back from the return with an inline carter rotary lift pump (100gph/16psi).
We bled the system and it fired right up!! So, took it for a test drive and max boost was down to 25psi at WOT and my temp was 1300. Before the mod I was running 40psi at WOT and 1000 F. What might be the problem??

VE pump w/3200 spring and screw turned in
HE351 turbo w/4" exhaust non W/G
62% bigger injectors from Ind. Inj.
SmokeScreen
fuel pin?

Return to Cool projects YOU can do