axle repair

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

axle repair

Postby Falcon » Mon May 14, 2007 11:21 am

I was looking at my front axle (Dana 60) yesterday while givin her some grease and I saw that the u-joints to the axle shafts were in need of some replacement. How difficult is it to take them out to replace? I have never done this but it needs to be done soon.

Greg
Greg
Graham, Washington
"FIRST REAL TRUCK ENGINE...
LAST REAL TRUCK!!!
93 ex cab 4x4, Hybred 35/40,4" exaust all the way,pump turned alittle,DDP Stage III's, 366 spring,DDP fuel pin,AFE first gen air intake,pyro and boost gauges
Falcon
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Philip » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:53 am

It isn't that hard to replace them. You need a good set of snap ring pliers, a set of allen wrenches for the lockout hubs. The socket for the wheel bearing nuts, and a air chisel will help a lot when you go to remove the spindle assy.

You will need to remove the caliper and hub/rotor assy. At that point your axle will look like this link.

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u97/ ... t=pic2.jpg

Remove the six bolts shown in the pic holding the spindle/caliper bracket assy on. Remove the brake dust shield. Then use a air chisel or a regular chisel will work also. Put it between the parting line for the spindle and knuckle assy. Then drive it in. Do this in a couple of places to keep from binding it up on the studs. Do not beat on the spindle assy.............

After the spindle is off this link has a pic of what you would be looking at.

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u97/ ... t=pic3.jpg

Just grab the end of the axle and pull. The axle shaft should slide right out.

Replace U-joint and reinstall. Reverse the disassembly and your done. If everything goes well your looking about 2 hours for each side.

Inside the inner end of the spindle is a needle bearing roller assy. Be sure to clean and grease it. Also put a little grease on the lip seal on the outer stub shaft.

You should have put this in the chassis section. It would have had a answer sooner. I don't check this section often. Send swank a PM and have him move it for you.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby Falcon » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:47 am

Thanks I am going to get this done soon. Got to have it finished before hunting.

Greg
Greg
Graham, Washington
"FIRST REAL TRUCK ENGINE...
LAST REAL TRUCK!!!
93 ex cab 4x4, Hybred 35/40,4" exaust all the way,pump turned alittle,DDP Stage III's, 366 spring,DDP fuel pin,AFE first gen air intake,pyro and boost gauges
Falcon
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Part numbers (old,new,cross reference)